Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got some rico jazz select 3M unfiled reeds today (for my Morgan 7M with Martin Indiana alto) and they are a bit better than the other ricos and maybe the vandoren java which I'm not sure I ever liked. Sometimes I think I have trouble getting the low notes to play without squeaking, esp. low E and F when trying to do a subtone attack (does this mean it could be leaky?) And the mid. C# is clearly a bit sharp. I recorded a short clip, it's about a minute, to share.

i deleted it

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey sounds good
but i have a few comments
I play a morgan 5m with RJS 4S (unfiled)
I used to have that problem when i played in the low range
But as soon as I started to take more mouthpiece, it got a lot better
I found that by taking less mouthpiece, the more back pressure there was.
But when I took more Mtpc, the backpressure lessened, and i was able to move more air into the horn.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Proff said:
hey sounds good
but i have a few comments
I play a morgan 5m with RJS 4S (unfiled)
I used to have that problem when i played in the low range
But as soon as I started to take more mouthpiece, it got a lot better
I found that by taking less mouthpiece, the more back pressure there was.
But when I took more Mtpc, the backpressure lessened, and i was able to move more air into the horn.
thanks, I actually was worried I was taking too much mpc, so I tried to back off. I will try it.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
JazzItUp said:
sweet.. is it metal mouthpiece?
no it's a Morgan hard rubber 'Jazz' model size 7M. I am getting a fairly bright sound, a little listener's fatigue even... but I like it too (until my ears hurt.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
you should get the melody right. Savoy and Verve recordings.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
intheShed said:
you should get the melody right. Savoy and Verve recordings.
im not too good at that:shock: i just played it from memory and I know I screwed it up...

Everytime I try to record a tune seriously I screw up the head. So I don't even try any more...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You should try softer reeds. Those definitely sound way too hard. WAY too hard.
3M's are pretty hard for a 7 opening. You need a lot of muscle support for that. I'm pretty sure King Koeller here uses a morgan jazz 7 with vandoren 3.5's but he's a monster player with killer chops. Drop a few reed strengths.

The airyness in your sound, and the few octave jumps that occured during the head when going down to the G and G# is what I'm basing my words on.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jacobeid said:
You should try softer reeds. Those definitely sound way too hard. WAY too hard.
3M's are pretty hard for a 7 opening. You need a lot of muscle support for that. I'm pretty sure King Koeller here uses a morgan jazz 7 with vandoren 3.5's but he's a monster player with killer chops. Drop a few reed strengths.

The airyness in your sound, and the few octave jumps that occured during the head when going down to the G and G# is what I'm basing my words on.
Argh... more reeds?? I keep buying boxes and opening them and then I can't return them! :(

I will try a few 2H or 2M reeds. Thanks. (yes it hurts my chops a little)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I really think you'll notice a big difference. Jumps like that from D2 to G1 will be much easier, and your sound will open up A LOT. I use La Voz Mediums or 3S RJS on my morgan jazz 6m with my conn 6m.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Here's another vote for La Voz mediums on a Morgan 7M for alto - I use them and they work great. Or Vandoren ZZ 2.5's. (I haven't tried Rico Jazz Selects.)

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
jacobeid said:
I really think you'll notice a big difference. Jumps like that from D2 to G1 will be much easier, and your sound will open up A LOT. I use La Voz Mediums or 3S RJS on my morgan jazz 6m with my conn 6m.
I got them today (2H filed) and you were right, its much easier to play and sounds better too. I now think it may be a tad free-blowing... but I am not sure if a reed change is what I need now, or I am curious about the idea of trading for a 6M and then being able to use a 3S or so. But maybe I can get used to this. When I was playing today it felt like I was restraining myself in order to control the soft reed, and I couldn't be loose with my playing and when I tried, I could play fast but it was a little hard to control. But I thinking maybe it is something I can get used to, because the sound is good. I could start a subtone on a low Bb at a pretty low volume.

side note - listening to the low notes on the Martin alto was pretty thrilling... sounded like a tenor down low, complex, deep, lush, but with a sparkle to it. Sometimes I feel like it "growls" by itself, a little, or has a grittiness to the tone, and when I do growl with it this effect is intensified. I also loved the highs, which sound a bit more piercing than the lows, and made for a nice effect when going up and down the scale. I kinda dig this horn, but it's annoying when my fingers can't find the action, because I'm not used to it yet... like when my pinky slips (flies...) off the G#, doh. The side alt. F# sounds fine with the thinner reed, too, (it was very stuffy before.)

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Okay, I just got another mouthpiece for the alto (see sig) and it's working pretty well with a regular Vandoren blue box 3 reed. This is really comforting because I like this reed anyway, it's always been one of my faves on tenor on many mouthpieces. I am getting a more resistant feel but without sacrificing the ability to subtone the low notes. So I think I'm making some progress... unfortunately I didn't have time to record much today but I did make my way over to Al Stevens site and am going to use the playalong mp3's again for next time, although I will fix the backing so it's loud and present like it should be! btw - really good job on these Al (I heard Indiana so far...)

i deleted it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts