Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice! I'm in the market for a clip mic and I really am unsure about which way to go. I want one that I will really be satisfied with, so I'm thinking an AMT, or the SD systems LCM series (but I can't find those anywhere in the USA). I don't know whether to go with the AMT Wi5 (wireless) or one of the wired ones. What are the pros and cons of each???

Thank you in advance,
Michael

·
SOTW Administrator
26,242 Posts
I carry an AT pro 350 as a backup (wired), and have the samson airline 77 with the HM40 capsule for wireless.

That being said, if I had the $$, I would go with the AMT. They're frequency agile, and sound great. Just be careful that you get the newer model that has the new 'legal' frequency range.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay I'm now leaning towards the AMT LS, which seems like a better choice because I can do more stuff with it (effects, possibly recording, etc) with greater ease. And I can purchase a seperate system and change it to wireless at any point if need be. Does anyone have any experience with this particular microphone?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
i have gigged with the same AMT roam ...wireless for 5 years.....it's by far the best mic i've ever used and is robust.........i must have done over 1000 gigs with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have gigged with the same AMT roam ...wireless for 5 years.....it's by far the best mic i've ever used and is robust.........i must have done over 1000 gigs with it.
selmer, did you have any experience using effects on the Roam? I'm interested in trying to use some (let's say an autowah), but how well would it work on a wireless system? Thank you for the suggestion, the Roam is now on my radar.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
The AMT Roam is a great mic. I spent way too much time playing into a mic on a stand...This thing is rugged and sounds great!

When I had service done recently from AMT they were just superb! They also offered to let me trade in my Roam for the Wi5...with $500 to boot! That's an expensive mic system...it had better be the best.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I've used it with effects pedals and modules...like my Helicon Quintet....which is a harmonizer unit and with a wah wah with no problems. You just take the XLR from the receiver into the effects unit/pedal and then take another lead from the unit into the PA/speaker.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
awesome thanks. One more question. I'm almost positive that someone at my school uses a Samson Airline 77 mic, so does the Roam use the same frequencies as the Samson? There is a chance that we'd be playing together at the same time, so are there any issue with interference if I bought a Roam?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,242 Posts
Ask him the frequency of his mic, and get a different one.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
mjbjazz said:
awesome thanks. One more question. I'm almost positive that someone at my school uses a Samson Airline 77 mic, so does the Roam use the same frequencies as the Samson? There is a chance that we'd be playing together at the same time, so are there any issue with interference if I bought a Roam?
Ask him the frequency of his mic, and get a different one.
Two words: RF Coordinator

Even if the frequencies are different, you can get intermod problems that will cause interference and artifacts in the radio signals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I have reassessed my situation concerning the mic, based on money and other factors, and have landed on the Shure Beta 98 H/C wired microphone (no wireless) for about $200. (I know I switch around a lot on my "decisions," but I think I'm staying on this one). At the moment I don't feel that wireless is really necessary for me; I can deal with 10 ft of wire. I was wondering about any user's thoughts on this mic.

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it!
Michael

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,729 Posts
When I switched to clip on mics, I went with a cheap wired version first. A walkie-talkie might have had less feedback. Hated the wire too. You have to wrap it up, hide it or get it caught on something... Sunk a few hundred into an AMT wireless years ago and it's been nothing but trouble free, quality sound since. If you're doing professional gigs, it's a godsend.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,165 Posts
I'm using the Beta 98 with a shure PGX wireless system. I really like it. Have a wired AT 350 as backup.... I think you'll be happy with the Beta 98....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Question for me as well...

I just bought the Shure ULXS14/98 and it should be here very soon but they have a 30 day guarantee...does anyone have any experience with this setup??

Thank you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
After using the wirless Samson Airline 77 system with the HM-40 mic I recently switched to a wired Shure Beta 98/h mic. I am sooo relieved: the sound quality of the Shure is ten times better, IMHO. More lively, natural, colorful. Besides that, the signal is hotter (more gain) which I like. When I had the Samson I kept worrying about the sound quality, that lacked something to my ears. I even added a tube preamplifier to my setup, but that did not help much either.
Then it hit me: why use a wireless setup when sound quality is a priority and I never move around much on stage except for turning towards fellow band members. Anyway, it is nice to know that I can plug the Beta 98 h/s into a wireless system if I want to shell out the extra cash. But only if, at some point in the future, I feel an urge to transform my performance on stage into something like this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW3LNzag1rw&feature=related
(look at 7:00m and onwards, especially the face of the man in the audience!)

.......I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,242 Posts
Wired is more reliable (anything that uses batteries is inherently unreliable IMO). Truthfully, I can't tell the difference between the Beta 98 and the AT capsule used in the HM40. You're right about the tube preamp. It does nothing for saxes live. Also, a cheap tube preamp will not sound as good as a well-designed solid state preamp.

I can't figure why you would get more gain with your shure than with the samson.:scratch:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts