Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Clifford is my favorite Chicago tenor player (an important subgroup!) and I first met him in an unusual way in the early 1970's.

I had just moved to Krumville, a very remote place about 12 miles from Woodstock. I thought I knew all the players living up there but one spring day, driving on a dirt road, I saw a guy standing in a field playing tenor. I stopped and listened and then walked across the field toward him. Then he turned my way.

That's when I recognized both the face and the sound. Clifford's ex-wife and kids lived there and he was visiting.

I can still see and hear him that beautiful day.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Great player AND an under-appreciated composer; another one of those marvelous Chicago tenor players with that cry in their sound. Perhaps my favorite recorded performance of him is his intense and possibly demonically-possessed work on Mingus's "Right Now: Live at the Jazz Workshop," recorded shortly after the '64 European tour:

http://www.amazon.com/Right-Now-Live-Jazz-Workshop/dp/B00000GCB1

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
Jordan's These Are My Roots is one of my top 5 jazz albums.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always thought that his group with Cedar Walton, Sam Jones and Billy Higgins was one the greatest quartets in Jazz of the 70s/80's era... Great compositions and smoking ensemble playing. Their Steeplechase catalogue is amazing!

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Great player AND an under-appreciated composer; another one of those marvelous Chicago tenor players with that cry in their sound. Perhaps my favorite recorded performance of him is his intense and possibly demonically-possessed work on Mingus's "Right Now: Live at the Jazz Workshop," recorded shortly after the '64 European tour:

http://www.amazon.com/Right-Now-Live-Jazz-Workshop/dp/B00000GCB1
My very favorite Clifford Jordan is from his brief time with Mingus in 1964 .... he sounds so killing!! It's great to hear him stretch harmonically and rhythmically in a more open setting (and with Eric Dolphy standing next to him!) His sound is so focused and intense during this time .... is it just me, or can you hear something very Brecker-ish in his sound during that European tour?

I think Jordan only playing with Mingus for six months? It's amazing how well-documented that time was. There's the European tour (officially released by Sue Mingus as "Revenge"), "Live at Cornell" (the quintet with Johnny Coles as well), a live video .... can't wait to see what they pull out of the archives next!

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Clifford suffered a bad hip for a long time, and played with a lot of pain, probably through about the mid 70s or a bit later.
Then he got a hip replacement (early 80's?) and the pain was gone.

And the sound and joy in his playing just exploded. It was really amazing how the music had this "shadow" over it during the hip-pain years, and it was only really recognizable when the pain ( and the shadow) was gone.

NB: I still have an original hand written piece of untitled Mingus manuscript that Clifford gave me; it's framed, hanging on the wall.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
I saw clifford in 1990 in melbourne & he was great, huge sound & his name was engraved on the inside of the bell of the bif selmer he was playing. I love the album 'night of the MKVII' he sounds great........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Beautiful music with a still powerful message. love Mx Roach always. thanks for that Liam 84.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
Just been listening to Art farmer's record Mirage with clifford on tenor & he plays some great solo's.........great plaing clifford!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts