Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been practicing for about half an hour (I have just suffered from a very bad virus inc. cold symptoms) and I recieved a weird clicking, gurgling sound in my throat. It has happened before when I practice or play for about 2-3 hours. Is there any way of combating this?
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,486 Posts
do you find that air sort of leaks out through your nose if you try and exhale through your mouth to blow the horn if you continue blowing after the clicking? if so that is exactly what I get.
i'd be interested to hear what people have to say since this is really annoying me.
i have heard that it could be to do with overworking the tendons holding my lower jaw in place, so they slacken slightly, changing the shape of muscles, thus effecting my throat and breathing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used to get that when i first started and got over-tired. I think it's caused by the back pressure or vibrations closing the airway at the back of the mouth by pulling the soft pallette against the tongue and all the air going through the nose. Once it started it wouldn't stop until i'd rested- sometimes until the next day.
It hasn't happened for a few years so i suppose things must have strengthened up in there (or...I don't play long enough to get over-tired...).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To my knowledge I don't have any air leaking from my nose when I blow my sax. A few websites claim it is due to constricting muscles in the throat - the muscle that stops food from entering your lungs apparently :S Does a thraot tablet sort it out. I just wondered as I have my Grade 8 soon and don't want it causing me to fail!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts