Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any King Cleveland historians out there?

Just bought a King Cleveland Tenor, serial # C 78XXX. Does this make it a a pre-Eastlake? What's the difference between the 50s models and the later models?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Mine was a C45 XXX. Great horn...wish I hadn't sold it. Does yours have the Zephyr-style neck with the "W" shaped neck-brace?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a non-original neck - I think it's from a later King Cleveland. I was a little concerned about that, but I checked the intonation with a tuner, and it was pretty good. I'm having it regulated, so hopefully it'll improve even more.

Did yours have brass keys or nickel? The keys on mine all appear to be brass, but the thumb hook and a section of octave rod are nickel. The engraving is almost invisible, so I'm thinking it's a relac - maybe they decided to do the keys at the same time..

·
6,862 Posts
Mine was Silver plate with nickel keys. The intonation was very...flexible...but with a large chamber piece (Link) it was manageable. :)

·
6,862 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's kind of a unique looking Cleveland...the neck looks like a Zephyr, but it definitely had a non-Zephyr C key gaurd. My has the Zephyr-styled one. Interesting what they were doing. The HN White site says that after the war, they focused on their more profitable instruments. Maybe yours is one of the unprofitable models that got ditched?

·
6,862 Posts
Whaler: I see what you mean...there was definitely some pull-down, but I think the picture makes it look worse than it actually was. It was very comfy to play...except the left pinky cluster. Absolutely the liveliest feeling tenor I've played.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Smokey -- yours is nearly identitcal to mine, except I have an older style LH pinky key cluster -- tall and thin.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Any King Cleveland historians out there?

Just bought a King Cleveland Tenor, serial # C 78XXX. Does this make it a a pre-Eastlake? What's the difference between the 50s models and the later models?

Thanks!
Yes, it was made in Cleveland, indicated by the C preface in the serial #.

I have a C709xx HN White Cleveland tenor.
Your horn and mine were manufactured between '55-'60 in the Cleveland factory.

Serials are posted on the HN White site, under Cleveland Band Instruments.

The keys are made of brass. It is relatively lightly sprung and the action is slick.
Its tone holes are hard soldered like Zephyrs and S20s, and appear to be twice as thick
than those, for example, of a Buescher Aristocrat.

The engraving on mine sports a marching hat and crossed drum sticks, with CLEVELAND in block letters above it.
I've posted a bit more about my Cleveland tenor in a couple of other Cleveland threads.

It plays much better than my '70s King Cleveland 615 USA , that had cludgy niickel plated key work, in comparison.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the one - thanks saxphil. Okay so it DOES have brass keys. That's cool. I did noticed the soldered tone holes -- my engraving is so worn I thought the drumsticks were golf clubs. LOL.

·
7,212 Posts

·
2,960 Posts
i agree-the livelist tenors i have played too. i had a killer one and sold it-dumb!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,992 Posts
Just to note.... I think any 5-digit Cleveland model was produced in Cleveland...I think Eastlake production began in '63.....around serial C150,000

I agree, the Cleveland-Cleveland horns are fantastic. The Eastlake ones aren't bad at all, either (same body tube design, but the metal gets lighter as the years go on), but agree that the keywork changes were not beneficial. Eevn though the older Cleves have very old-school looking keywork, I find them to be ergonomically better and more responsive than the "redesigned" work.

Also, the lacquer quality is poorer coming out of Eastlake.

I always sell these really quickly, because people are stoked about owning a horn like these for such a relatively bargain price....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the great info. Still waiting to hear back from my tech. The last horn I bought was kind of a dud, so I'm hoping this one works out.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just heard back from the tech. Just some garden variety old saxophone stuff...needs a couple of pads and corks and also the Eb rod was binding a little bit. Should be a good player he says!

I picked up and played my Evette Schaefer/R Malerne tenor last night in prep for a performance...Really interseting differece in the ergo. I think the Malerne was made for people with big fat hands.

·
7,212 Posts
Thanks for the great info. Still waiting to hear back from my tech. The last horn I bought was kind of a dud, so I'm hoping this one works out.
Mine has a big,strong, sweet tone. Punchy too.
I love it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts