Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, The official SOTW Little S
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I will be heading to Clemson University this fall as a freshman. I will keep this short and simple: What kinds of music opportunities are there for a freshman? I'm considering the Tiger Band, but I've never been in a marching band before. I'm also looking into the non-audition concert band (I missed the audition deadline, to be honest, Clemson was the last school I thought I'd end up, still no regrets! :)) Any good music courses to take? (I'm planning on pursuing a minor in music)

Thanks everyone! :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Most schools have unofficial auditions on orientation/scheduling day. You might be able to get in there!

·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most schools have unofficial auditions on orientation/scheduling day. You might be able to get in there!
Thanks for letting me know! I'll email the head director for Clemson. Not to sound conceited, but I believe I'd definitely get into the audition band.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Thanks for letting me know! I'll email the head director for Clemson. Not to sound conceited, but I believe I'd definitely get into the audition band.
Looking at Clemson's site, it looks like they only have 2 wind ensembles. I'm assuming one is audition only and the one that only meets once a week is open. Believing you can get into the audition band is basically saying you think you're already one of the four best saxophonists in the school. Better than many music majors and upperclassmen. That's a bold assumption.

I never auditioned specifically for marching band. I started at the University of Houston. I wasn't accepted into the music program at the time, hadn't even auditioned but was still able to sign up and march. When I went to Texas State, I had auditioned for the school but never auditioned specifically for band. Regardless, I had only marched one year in high school. We had a "Hell Week". We showed up for the fall semester a week early and practiced for 5-6 hours a day. We learned the music, we went through marching fundamentals, and then we started learning the show. I can't speak for Clemson specifically, but they'll probably teach you how to march (it's really not that hard).

If it's like most schools where the the top 2 bands are audition and the 3rd is open, then you're saying you're one of the 8 best classical saxophonists at that school. Better than actual music majors and upperclassmen. Bold statement. It's not about how good you are, it's if you're better than the other people trying for the same spot.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have a good friend who is graduating from Clemson with a degree in music this month. If you PM me your e-mail address I'll happily put the two of you in touch. It's taken him 6 years to finish his degree, so he should have a pretty good grasp on course/ensemble offerings. :-D

·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello all! I thought I'd update you all on my musical endeavors and answer my own question for future reference for others who may be in the same predicament I was in. First semester here at Clemson is going great, and the music opportunities are abound here. I did make it into the audition only band (Symphonic Band), and each musician is extraodinarily talented and only expect performance of the highest caliber. It's a challenge to keep up; the band does require a lot of practice on your own (we only meet once a week for 2 hours in the Fall semester and then have a concert which consists of about 7-8 pieces which are comprised of a majority of grade 6 and a few grade 5 pieces). In the Spring semester (granted that I make the audition band again!), we will be practicing pieces to take to London to play in the Summer Olympics! :) I'm so excited. I've recently declared my minor in music. The courses available to take seem interesting and are abound for a music minor.Clemson has a Kappa Kappa Psi chapter (the music fraternity), and I considered joining it. The Brooks Center for Performing Arts building is great and such a change from my high school. There are two auditoriums and a couple large classrooms, along with the practice hall (hall with many practice rooms with pianos in them). The symphonic band has already collaborated with the Dallas Brass; I attended a masters class and the band played a piece with them during their concert for the public. The marching band is great! I'm not in marching band but those who are in it love it and are very dedicated. Whereas music is not one of the focal points here at Clemson (the strong programs tend to be in the sciences), the program is great and deserves more attention than it recieves. If anyone in the future has any questions, feel free to PM me. :)

·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But how about the pep band that plays during basketball games? That would seem to be a blast.
The people that are in it enjoy it, and get a little bread in return for it too. I considered it but I've never seen myself as a sports venue performer. I still would consider it, but I'm already overbooked this year.

·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would look into their pep band that plays at the basketball games. ACC basketball is HUGE and you'd get to see future stars up close and personal.
I do work at the recreation center here at Clemson. Sammy Watkins (star football player) walked in and proceeded to ask the person at the front desk if he was a Clemson student. :|

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
I do work at the recreation center here at Clemson. Sammy Watkins (star football player) walked in and proceeded to ask the person at the front desk if he was a Clemson student. :|
Oh my.... Too many hits to the head without wearing the helmet. :)

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Sammy Watkins (star football player) walked in and proceeded to ask the person at the front desk if he was a Clemson student. :|
It might've been interesting if the two compared GPAs.

Thanks for the update, bluesaxgirl. Sounds like you're able to keep up with your music on a high and interesting level. Cool!
BTW, what did you decide to major in?

·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It might've been interesting if the two compared GPAs.

Thanks for the update, bluesaxgirl. Sounds like you're able to keep up with your music on a high and interesting level. Cool!
BTW, what did you decide to major in?
I'm pursuing a B.A. in Political Science. So far it proves to be very interesting!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
I'm pursuing a B.A. in Political Science.
Which may only be useful for law. But if you're heading in that direction, I wouldn't rule out a Philosophy class or two; especially logic.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Which may only be useful for law. But if you're heading in that direction, I wouldn't rule out a Philosophy class or two; especially logic.
Logic and Politics? In America? Where's the beef? Show me the beef?

·
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am heading in the direction of law. I'm taking ethical philosophy right now and will take logic to help with the dreaded games section of the LSAT. I was really torn between the two majors of polisci and philosophy, but decided since I want to use law as a springboard into politics, it would be more useful. And I just find politics fascinating. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts