Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a clear sheet of something (plexiglas) maybe 17 x 11 that I can use to put over my music on the music stand when I'm performing in high wind situations. I've been managing with the long clips but I'm looking for something more stable. Can't find anything like it on musicians' friend or wwbw. Can someone help me out?

Thanks.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,925 Posts
I've been looking for a clear sheet of something (plexiglas) maybe 17 x 11 that I can use to put over my music on the music stand when I'm performing in high wind situations. I
How about a clear sheet of plexiglass, 17 x 11 ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
I've been looking for a clear sheet of something (plexiglas) maybe 17 x 11 that I can use to put over my music on the music stand when I'm performing in high wind situations. I've been managing with the long clips but I'm looking for something more stable. Can't find anything like it on musicians' friend or wwbw. Can someone help me out?

Thanks.
If you're already using something like the long clips offered by musicmaide.com, then I've nothing for you, 'cept to glom onto Pete's suggestion to get an 11"x17" of say, 1/4" plexiglass cut for you. Can't be that expensive...

·
28,925 Posts
Alternatively use glass, as long as you are confident the stand won't blow over and smash it. The only downside I can imagine is if you are on stage and there is glare from the lighting.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,362 Posts
What brand?? Also what thickness? I heard thin ones are for beginners.
LOL! ….and sissies.

Anyhow, seems you're probably gonna get a glare using plastic and/or any thicknesses of plexiglass.

And I always used humongous "clothes pins" designed especially for music and stand.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
A sheet of plexi works great unless you have to turn the page... although Plexi can be surprisingly expensive.

Ive rigged up a cheap system in the past using a couple of thin guitar strings (or even boot laces) across the top and bottom of the stand to hold the sheet down in the wind without obscuring too much of it. Strings are attached to a couple of stout broccoli elastics (as featured in the "broccolig") at the back to give them enough tension that they hold in place but still allow you to get the page in and out pretty fast when you have too. Some trial end error is required to adjust the fit.

Does nothing to keep the rain off the music though if its one of those days;)

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,210 Posts
Strong 'refrigerator magnets' sold in nearly every craft section in supermarkets work well to keep music from blowing away.
Providing your stand is 'magnetic'.
Easier to carry in your case or essentials bag too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wow! Plexiglass, high tech stuff. Would the plexiglass be hinged on your music stand so you can change your music? I’m a low tech kind of guy, so still using clothes pins. Cheap, light, portable, don’t need Windex to keep them clean.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
11 x 17 is perfect. When turning pages, just let it lean down. I use them for a city band and can be made by sign makers who do outdoor lighting, etc.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Use liberally, on top and sides of sheet. $1.39 per box.
No issues of glare.
Also can be used to keep adjustable music stand at right height if shaft is too loose.

View attachment 214086

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Here's an option:

18 in. x 24 in. x 0.093 in. Clear Acrylic Sheet Glass Replacement
https://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-1...rylic-Sheet-Glass-Replacement-MC-05/202038047
$11.98

Not real heavy so would still have to clip down...
Tip that I used to used to cut glare down on taking a picture of folks with glasses on - dust glass very lightly with baby/talc powder. Cut glare of light and results looked natural under the flash, when used...
Perhaps it's sold in thick and thus heavier sheets?

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
661 Posts
I have a sheet of plexi that I have been using for at least 20 years. Yes, it has acquired a few scratches, but it's still fine for the intended use. I have kept it in a manila envelope for protection. I haven't usually had too much trouble with glare. Turning pages is no more difficult than with clips or rubber bands, probably easier. I also have my non-patented Read & Rip System: I make photocopies of the multi-page music. I tape 2 or 3 of the pages together. If the piece is longer than 3 pages, I just rip out the first 2 or 3 pages I've taped together & toss them on the ground (I retrieve them later). The next 2 or 3 pages are ready to read with minimal time lost.

Sheet plastic is often available at your local hardware store, or at places that specialize in plastic stuff. (On the West Coast, it's TAP Plastics.)

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I have a couple of bandmates who use those spring loaded belt mounted badge holders. There's a little round thingy that holds a cord wound up with a watchspring. The round case has a clip on it to hook on your belt. You tie the end of the cord to a small bulldog clip; hook the round case to one side of the stand; hook the bulldog clip to the opposite side, and you have a cord stretched across the stand that holds the music down but allows repositioning and page turns. You run one across at the top and one near the bottom, and maybe one in the middle. I haven't tried this personally but they highly recommended it.

·
28,925 Posts
Use polycarbonate instead, it provides increased resonance.
Either perspex acrylic or polycarbonate could work well in that regard, although it's more refection rather than resonance, so the sheet music holder also doubles as a deflector Cool idea!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts