Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would first like to say I love the sound of the violin

(very ... sad and pure)

If you understand my vague language, I think it would be really helpful.

So my question would be how to achieve such sound; less reedy and more clarinet-like as some would call it.

( I want to use this 'sound' to play Creston Sonata II... I think it would match very well)

·
Registered
313 Posts
You're going to get a lots of suggestions, and some will suggest just the opposite of this. But give this idea a chance.

Are you looking for Don Sinta's tone for the Creston? If so, you would do well to try very large-chambered mouthpieces. You can try the Rascher mouthpiece, the Caravan, the vintage Selmer Airflow, vintage Buescher/Conn/WoodwindNY/etc...

Sinta played/plays an old Selmer Airflow B* from what I hear. Large round chamber, low baffle and close tip opening. You can put an immense amount of air through it still get a very dark tone. I personally like the old King Equa-Tru (Riffault-made) mouthpieces, but it has to be really, really old to get that Sinta sound. Look for something from the 1920s or 1030s -- perhaps a stock mouthpiece that came with a 1920/1930s horn.

BTW, Sigurd Rascher used to suggest that the saxophone sounded quite like the violin. So you are on the right track!

PM me if you wish. I have an old mouthpiece or two buried somewhere in my stash.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're going to get a lots of suggestions, and some will suggest just the opposite of this. But give this idea a chance.

Are you looking for Don Sinta's tone for the Creston? If so, you would do well to try very large-chambered mouthpieces. You can try the Rascher mouthpiece, the Caravan, the vintage Selmer Airflow, vintage Buescher/Conn/WoodwindNY/etc...

Sinta played/plays an old Selmer Airflow B* from what I hear. Large round chamber, low baffle and close tip opening. You can put an immense amount of air through it still get a very dark tone. I personally like the old King Equa-Tru (Riffault-made) mouthpieces, but it has to be really, really old to get that Sinta sound. Look for something from the 1920s or 1030s -- perhaps a stock mouthpiece that came with a 1920/1930s horn.

BTW, Sigurd Rascher used to suggest that the saxophone sounded quite like the violin. So you are on the right track!

PM me if you wish. I have an old mouthpiece or two buried somewhere in my stash.
I actually have never had the chance to listen to Don Sinta's version of Creston Sonata... Do you know where I could listen to them by any chance?

Thank you !

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,795 Posts
I think that you are indeed describing a " classical" music tone. I think that Sigurd Rascher might indeed be a reference to you or maybe something more modern

Selmer S80 or Vandoren (mpc) optimum series, start definitely on Vandoren blue box and then see how you go.

·
Banned
492 Posts
I would first like to say I love the sound of the violin

(very ... sad and pure)

If you understand my vague language, I think it would be really helpful.

So my question would be how to achieve such sound; less reedy and more clarinet-like as some would call it.

( I want to use this 'sound' to play Creston Sonata II... I think it would match very well)
Interesting! Get a mouthpiece with a concave baffle. I've heard some of the older guys talk about that. Got no idea of what the names of those mouthpieces are,... not my thing. But I understand that type of mpc helps to quiet the overtones and makes the sax sound more tubular. Might as well learn to play the bass clarinet or oboe is what comes to mind with me! It's the cone that makes the sax,... well the sax. But the few players at school that are really heavy into the classical thing and complain that the sax get treated like an orphan, swear by the whole concave thing. Never took the time to look at or examine one of those mpc's,... or even try to fully understand what they're talking about. just what I hear in the hallways! Think I'll ask some questions Friday,... something maybe I should learn about!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts