Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've been using the thin clear mouthpiece patches. I just buy them from the local store, don't know what brand the patches are. The material is marked "3M" but I'm sure 3M make a number of clear plastic materials with adhesive.

It used to be that the patch would go on, and it was good for years. Nowadays, they start sliding around and losing their position in a few months. I THINK I'm preparing the surface the same as I always did (wash it with soap and water, wipe it down with alcohol).

Are there some patches someone knows about that have a better, longer-lasting adhesive? Or, for that matter, if someone can provide a material spec, I wouldn't have any problem cutting sheet material.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I've had the best luck with Charles Bay brand patches. I also got some unknown ones from a local music store once that didn't work. The problem for me wasn't sliding, because I bit through them within a couple days (and I don't bite hard either). I've had the same Bay patch on my alto mouthpiece for years. In fact, I just ordered some more (probably for the first time in 5 years) only because I recently started playing a new tenor mpc, not bc I wore out any of the previous ones. They are expensive for what they are (maybe like $3 each), but they work!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Forestone are by far the best for me.
Adhesive without glue.
Removable without leaving gunk on mpc.
+1
I’ve been using one for more then a year. Not a tooth mark on it! This thing keeps going, just like on first day I installed it. Night and day compared to the traditional clear pads from other brands.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Years ago a member called Face Ache Mike started making very good patches. Clear patches with a very good feel and density, they seem to last for ages and don't shift etc. I don't know if he is still doing these. He could be contacted by email at mpc-patch at blueyonder.co.uk

The search function will get you some more info. Here is one short thread https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?256618-The-Patch

·
Registered
647 Posts
Years ago a member called Face Ache Mike started making very good patches. Clear patches with a very good feel and density, they seem to last for ages and don't shift etc. I don't know if he is still doing these. He could be contacted by email at mpc-patch at blueyonder.co.uk

The search function will get you some more info. Here is one short thread https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?256618-The-Patch
Unfortunately, I dont think he's making them anymore, which is too bad as they were the only patches that would last for me.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Unfortunately, I dont think he's making them anymore, which is too bad as they were the only patches that would last for me.
That would be unfortunate. I just noticed the facebookpage is indeed no longer there. These patched were good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
I use the Bay clear, thin patches too. Since I learned to play with less bite force, I really need them to keep the mouthpiece in place as it gives my top teeth 'purchase' or 'traction' on the mouthpiece. I also use them to protect the mouthpiece or bite plate/insert. I play a 1975 Level Air on baritone which was basically new when I got it last year with the original insert in perfect condition. These inserts have not been available for many years and they are not hard plastic, so I use a patch to protect it.
You just have to buy them in sufficient quantity to not run out and you have to get used to replacing them when they start to shift on the mouthpiece or get a loose flap at the front. I'd be leery of a patch with stronger adhesive because of possible damage to the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Had a Vandoren 0,35 mm clear patch on for the 9 months I have had my current go-to MPC. Still looks like new, feels great, and has zero problems with adhesion. Pack of 6 cost less than 10€.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts

+1 - these are/were great patches. I've got one order and they're indestructible. Too bad if he's no longer selling them. Hope he's ok...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I always warm my mouthpiece surface before I put on a patch. I rub the surface of the mouthpiece with my thumb until it's warm and then wipe once with a cloth, then put on the patch. The warmth makes the adhesive stick better to the mouthpiece. My patches never slip and stay put. I just recently started using clear patches with great satisfaction.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I have this problem too. I don't make any bite marks on the patch (clear 0,35 mm) but it only lasts roughly 2 months or so before it starts gradually moving towards the right of the mouthpiece.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I love the Forestone patches which are labeled 0.4 mm thick.
I think they are probably the same 3M stuff you can get on ebay.
I just ordered a 3M piece 2" by 24" for $6.99----- the piece is 14 mil thick which converts to 0.3556 mm.
Could be that Forestone just rounded up to 0.4 mm.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,010 Posts
Forestone are by far the best for me.
Adhesive without glue.
Removable without leaving gunk on mpc.
I really like the Forestone patches also. They stick very well, without sliding around, as long as you are using a HR mpc (which I am, mostly). Yet can be removed without leaving any sticky residue behind. However, I found they don't stick well at all on metal mpcs. So keep that in mind.

Hey turf, I'm really surprised to hear the 3M patches aren't adhering well. I've used them in the past (prior to discovering the Forestone patches) and they've always stuck very well (to metal and HR). So well, they were somewhat difficult to remove. I wonder if they have changed recently?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts