Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always like to play my sax after I have cleaned my teeth, but it still don't stop it getting dirty, so a few weeks ago I bought one of those small ultrasonic cleaners off flea bay for about £30 UK.

My mouth piece is ultra clean now and it works on both Metal and Ebonite ones, just put a touch of lemon washing up liquid in and it freshens it up brilliantly.

Hope this helps.

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
Jkulin said:
I always like to play my sax after I have cleaned my teeth, but it still don't stop it getting dirty, so a few weeks ago I bought one of those small ultrasonic cleaners off flea bay for about £30 UK.

My mouth piece is ultra clean now and it works on both Metal and Ebonite ones, just put a touch of lemon washing up liquid in and it freshens it up brilliantly.

Hope this helps.
Clean (wash) your mouthpiece after each playing session and save £30 UK... :)

Stan

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stan said:
Clean (wash) your mouthpiece after each playing session and save £30 UK... :)

Stan
I know where your coming from Stan, but having worked many years ago in the Health Service, a quick rinse will not get things clean let alone remove bacteria.

It's like using a used dry hankerchief:shock: ;)

·
Registered
717 Posts
I also use a small ultrasonic cleaner. I probably paid less than 40 dollars. Works perfect. You can also use it for your jewelry, spectacles, all kind of small metall or plastic things.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the pink bogy said:
i hardly ever wash my mouthpiece so wat should i do to clean it
:?
With small items like this try and buy an ultrasonic cleaner, you can get them cheaper if you only need it for your mouth piece, but I too use them for my glasses as I can't stand smudged lenses.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,957 Posts
If you use a metal mouthpiece, just use dish soap or toothpaste and hot water. With hard rubber, it's more complicated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just keep a pack of first-aid antiseptic wipes in my case. Quick wipe down should kill all the germs.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
I just use a toothbrush and cold water for my hard rubber mouthpieces. Americans in general are too germ averse, and it's getting worse.

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
I periodically use a bit of liquid disinfectant (the one used to sterilize feeding bottles :) ) mixed with cold water. It works fine but remember... germs improve projection :D

Stan

·
Banned
451 Posts
80 grit sandpaper and gasoline.

Not really. I just use soap and water. That seems to clean about anything except your old car engine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
hakukani said:
I just use a toothbrush and cold water for my hard rubber mouthpieces. Americans in general are too germ averse, and it's getting worse.
Amen, brother. Antiseptic everything and over use of antibiotics could well be the death of us.
Look at the death rates of indigenous peoples from germs brought by foreign invaders, all because they had developed no immunity from exposure. Some estimates in the Americas run as high as 90%. http://www.amazon.com/1491-Revelati...9854268?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177970186&sr=8-1

Ponder what attempts at an antiseptic environment really portend.

·
Registered
997 Posts
For a rubber mpc, I get everything wet, & rub a little toothpaste between my fingers & polish it up. The calcium carbonate in the toothpaste is the agent.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Leave it alone - I've had the same reed on since around 2000. Now we've got a really beautiful dirty sound, and it has the advantage that no-one asks to "have a blow" on my sax. The creamy sliy "tidemark" around where my lips come to on the mouthpiece puts them off.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
And7barton said:
Leave it alone - I've had the same reed on since around 2000. Now we've got a really beautiful dirty sound, and it has the advantage that no-one asks to "have a blow" on my sax. The creamy sliy "tidemark" around where my lips come to on the mouthpiece puts them off.

Do you suppose that the first high baffle mouthpiece was accidently created in this way?

I'm not fastidious, but Ewwww.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
And7barton said:

How does the reed still work?

And have you read the horror stories of maggots growing in mouthpieces?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Martinman said:
How does the reed still work?

And have you read the horror stories of maggots growing in mouthpieces?
I've no idea ! - ha ha ha ! - But I was joking a bit about this !
Seriously though, I've used the same reed for as long as a year (Yes, it does get removed and washed under a tap to remove gunge). The reeds have played well until the last and end up black on the underside where your bottom lip goes. I would say though that I'm not playing every day for hours........ perhaps three to five hours per week of playing. A box of a dozen reeds have lasted me for years and years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts