Sax on the Web Forum banner

Cleaning up a mouthpiece for sale

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  wthalliii 
#1 ·
I have a tenor NY Link that I'm thinking of selling. I'd like to make it look as presentable as possible, but I obviously don't want to damage it or modify it in any way. What should I use to clean it? I have used warm soapy water on it, and gently washed it with a wash cloth.

Much of the gold plating is gone from the mouthpiece, and some of the underlying silver. The cap has about half of its lacquer gone, and is tarnished in those areas. The ligature is just bare brass, so it's just a dull finish.

I'm thinking of several things I might do, including metal polish or using a soft cloth burnishing wheel on a Dremel tool with or without jeweler's rouge.

What is the best thing to do to give it the best presentation without damaging it or making it look like it's not vintage?

#2 ·
Don't use any kind of power tool on it. I would wash it as you did but then I would use 'Lime-Away' on all of it to remove any tarnish and leave a smooth clean brass surface. It won't harm plastics, rubber or plating but you should rinse it before it dries. I usually spray it on a wet object and scrub with a toothbrush, then rinse - it doesn't have to 'sit'.

#3 ·
Also, be careful using metal polishes. The grit size is bigger than you would expect on most. They can work well on hard alloys of silver, but can be problematic on softer alloys. I’m concerned about using metal polishes on either brass or gold. Though they would clean well, they will more likely dull than brighten your mouthpiece.. Cleaning with a very weak solution of lime away with a 5 - 10 minute soak in clean water to remove all residues after you are done would most likely provide a better outcome

#4 ·
Also, what you are calling silver under the worn gold is nickel.

If you have calcification...white gunk in and on the beak regular vinegar and a toothbrush makes quick work of it.

This should really be a quick and easy undertaking.

Its a used piece. Id degunk it it, wipe it down...take photos and sell it. If its a vintave Ny model maybe spend a little more time but a good wash with soap and water and a polish rag generally gets the job done.

#10 ·
I have a tenor NY Link that I'm thinking of selling...

Much of the gold plating is gone from the mouthpiece, and some of the underlying silver.
Also, what you are calling silver under the worn gold is nickel.
Yes, this is a 1940's Tone Master.
Just for the record: all Links made in NY (up till the Florida STM DR) and by Babbitt (from about 1974 on wards) had silver under the gold plating, so also this piece. Only the Florida period models have nickel under the gold plating.

But the cleaning tips stay the same!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.