Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you clean your sopranino? Are there swab sticks, weighted cleaning cloths like there are for alto's and tenors? Where can you get cleaning stuff for the sopranino?

·
Registered
455 Posts
You really might need an oboe swab. I forgot exactly what I used, but I had to make the swab (probably a clarinet or soprano sax swab) smaller by cutting the swab nearly in half. It was pulling through but with too much resistance. If the weight is too big then you also need to cut it off also. The nylon cord is heavy and long enough to drop through without much trouble. Mike

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
187 Posts
a clean 'nino is a happy 'nino

I agree with TJ... – I use a clarinet swab with my straight sopranino, but have had to modify it somewhat for my curved 'nino (yes, he said GASsily - an Orsi) by significantly cutting down the size of the weight on the end of the cord. The original was too long/big to make either the short turn at the curvy's bow or the small curve at the neck.

·
14,361 Posts
Oldbluesman: I wouldn't worry too much about it. I rarely swab out my saxophones and when I had a 'nino, I didn't swab it. It played fine. If you feel the need to clean it, an occasional pass with a rifle-rod and patch should do it.

I know - I know - this subject (swabbing saxophone) comes and goes regularly on SOTW and there is no concensus. Some do, some don't. DAVE

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,407 Posts
I use a silk pull through with the end weight cut off. One sized for necks suffices.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,612 Posts
I use a silk swab that's intended for an alto neck. It works fairly well.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I will try the oboe swab I was using for my straight soprano(I switched to a clarinet swab for my straight soprano) when I get my nino in november,

·
2,312 Posts
I use a silk swab made for clarinet. It's a little tight passing through the neck but it doesn't stick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts