Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any tips on how to clean one of these things? Doesn't matter if it's a one, two, or four reed holder.

I'm using rubbing alcohol. Pour a bit on the table let it run down into the clamp and flip to get the alcohol to coat the entire inside of the clamp.

Guess you could submerse it in a glass of alcohol for several minutes or just toss it and buy another, they are pretty cheap after all, but that seems to be such a waste.

So, anyone else ran into the need and or thought to do this from time to time?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
use what I use for everything else...caulk cleaner

·
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They can be disassembled if they have those little side tabs like mine. The worse case scenario is you snap one and you buy a new one for 4 bucks.
I have unlatched the outside tabs but in my four reed holder, the inside tabs have been the issue. I haven't worked on them extensively but from what I have tried there doesn't seem to be enough room to release them. I'll get my jewelers screwdrivers out and see if they can release them.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Clean a reed guard? That's an interesting idea. I don't think I've cleaned mine in 35 years. :)

·
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Clean a reed guard? That's an interesting idea. I don't think I've cleaned mine in 35 years. :)
I haven't cleaned mine in 4 & was just wondering if I had been neglectful! I haven't seen/read anything about anyone else do so, so I was just wondering out loud, well kinda, at least as out loud as you can get on an internet forum. At least I'm not typing in all caps!

I'm due to rotate out the old reeds and bring in some new reeds. Not had any problems yet & wouldn't mind being able to go 35 years myself and not wonder about it!

·
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pipe cleaner with soap & water or any cleaning fluid works fine.

But for a four-reed holder the four inside tabs just won't release for me. Just doesn't seem to be enough room available to release the tabs once they've been engaged. They seem to be a use once, break once design and application fastener!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts