Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I've been active on here but I'm happy to be back. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I've got a beautiful Mark VI Silver Plated 93,XXX serial number. It's my baby. This year I was away from my horn most of the year and when I opened her back up I noticed a bit of brown/black oxidation under some of the keys and springs on the body of the horn. I'd rather not spend the money to have someone take it apart and clean her up. Can anyone recommend some tips for getting under the springs in the hard to reach places? Also, what do you normalize use, just a silver cleaning rag? Do you use any kind of polish, etc?

Thanks for your help!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,588 Posts
Also get some silver protectant strips to put in the case. After you get through cleaning it by hand, fully assembled, you'll look forward to putting something in the case that will prevent tarnish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know lemon pledge works great for bare brass. I normally just use an old rag and something pointy (a chopstick works well) to get under the rods, but be careful not to bend them. I don't know how pledge would fare on silver plate, but it might be worth looking into considering how easily available it is...

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
Yamaha slim cloth silver. Then follow up w/tarnish strips in the case.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Also not a good idea to store a hard rubber mouthpiece in the case as it promotes tarnishing.

On a side note I wouldn't bother polishing it up myself. Tarnish is unavoidable. It gives the horn character. All you can do it slow it down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts