Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an old Buescher tenor, and it plays fantastic, but is really dirty. Like after playing, my hands are too dirty to go do something else and I have to wash them. How should I go about cleaning the outside? Should I take a damp cloth or something and wipe it down? Does it matter if the pads get wet? I just want it to be clean so that I can play it, put it down and then have my hands be fine, I don't need it all shiny and sparkly. Any suggestions? Thanks. By the way, I'm pretty new to the sax so if something I asked is obvious, then I'm sorry.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I'd probably use a little Pledge on a soft cloth which is what I typically use on all my horns but I'm sure other's would suggest other methods.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Is is plated or lacquered? If plated, hagerty silver polish is great

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been told to use lemon oil on brass instruments, but I've yet to actually do it. My repair shop uses lemon pledge, but I've also been told that furniture polish is not optimal for instruments. Who knows what the right thing to do is? /shrug

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've used standard dishsoap and water to cut through some grime. One good cleaning like that, and you can polish it up with some of the other products mentioned.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,100 Posts
If it's dirt, a moist cloth (e.g. e-cloth) is good. Not a problem if the pads get wet, as long as you don't smear dirt on them in the process so be careful.

If it's oily dirt, then a little detergent mixed in would be OK, but then wipe it down afterwrads with just a cloth damp with water.

I would dry afeterwards, and maybe oil the action lightly.

having said that, it may well be ebets to disassemble and clean more thoroughly, in which case silver polish is a the best thing.

NB: polishing without disassembly is slightly possible, but the chances are you will get polish on the pads.

Pads can be cleaned with ligter fluid on a cotton bud or piece of paper.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, I decided to just bring it to a music store to clean/overhaul, since there are a few missing pads unfortunately. I will remember what you all said for the future.

·
Registered
278 Posts
+1 for Windex to clean then a little lemon Pledge.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Windex is what I use as well, just for cleaning. Spray it on a soft terry cloth towel, not the horn. Avoid paper towels as they will scratch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts