Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you clean all the nooks, crannies, and creases when overhauling a plastic clarinet? Especially in the tone hole faces. I soak them in warm soapy water and then brush, but when it's dry I still have gunk in the creases. I'm looking for new techinques and alternatives. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Ultrasonic works good, becuase you can use heat, its the heat thats needed to break down the grease. Before the ultrasonic, I used hot water / dawn / and a toothbrush, worked great, sometimes little bits left in tone hole chineys I used a cotton bud to get rid off

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,204 Posts
Oh the stuff I've used to clean plastic clarinets.
Old toothbrushes, strips of washcloth/T-shirt/flannel, cotton balls, Q-Tips, pipe cleaners, sponge tipped eyeshadow applicators, bottle brushes that come with kitten bottles, rod and oil swab from my 20ga cleaning kit...

Putting a little bit of ammonia in the warm water and dish soap helps break down the 'greasies' quicker if you're hand washing the clarinet body/keys.
I really like the long pipe cleaners you find in the craft section for getting the built up grunge out of the 'tubes' on the keys.
Another thing I like is an old battery operated Crest Spin-brush. The one with the single circular head does a wonderful job on the tone hole faces.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Ultrasonic works good, becuase you can use heat, its the heat thats needed to break down the grease. Before the ultrasonic, I used hot water / dawn / and a toothbrush, worked great, sometimes little bits left in tone hole chineys I used a cotton bud to get rid off
Ditto

1 - 4 of 4 Posts