Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I can't pretend to be the genius who came up with how to get the mould and spores out of that 'funky' vintage case - I'll leave the genius up to Shannon Lush who is an accomplished and published industrial chemist/art restorer/cleaning & preservation guru. If Shannon Lush doesn't know how to clean it, it's because she hasn't tried yet!

So, here's the scoop! In two incredibly easy and cheap steps:

Add only half a teaspoon of oil of cloves to 1 litre of water - no more concentrated than that. Put it into a spray bottle, spray the surface and leave for 20 minutes. Wipe the surface clean, then re-spray and leave it. It will take between 24 to 48 hours for the mould spores to die.

To remove mould from soft furnishings, canvas and outside areas, mix one kilogram of ordinary house salt (just the cheap non-iodised stuff) into a 9 litre bucket of water. Wash the affected surface, wait until the salt crust forms and brush off. The salt crystals grab the mould spores as the water evaporates and can be simply brushed away. Don't put the case into really hot summer sun to speed up the evaporation process.

Shannon recommends this if your house has been flooded and you now have a mould problem.

I pass this on as a recommendation if you have a 'funky' vintage case that's good enough to keep but not if it's inundated with a resident mould colony!

Hope this is of help...

KennyD

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Shannon Lush? With a moniker like that I assume she's also a champion pub-crawler.[rolleyes] Being schnockered would definitely be a plus in overcoming the smell of mouldy houses and belongings. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being schnockered would certainly help with creating some of the cleaning products she invents...

Curdled milk, girl's pee (not guy's due to protein content or some such...) - yep, some unusual 'cleaning' ingredients...

KennyD

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Girls' pee? Her own no doubt! So what does she suggest, that we get a chick to pee into the smelly sax case? Whoa....too wierd :dazed:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, the girl's pee is a whole different cleaning solution for some other problem (which escapes me at the moment...)!

If a girl pees in your saxophone case, I'd suggest glasses - she obviously needs some!

KennyD

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
This subject reminds me of this story:

Bush's White House Tour

Before the inauguration, George W. was invited to a 'get acquainted' tour of the White House.

After drinking several glasses of iced tea, he asked President Clinton if he could use his personal bathroom. He was astonished to see that the President had a solid gold urinal!

That afternoon, George W. told his wife, Laura, about the urinal. "Just think," he said, "when I am President, I'll have my own personal gold urinal!"

Later, when Laura had lunch with Hillary at her tour of the White House, she told Hillary how impressed George had been with his discovery of the fact that, in the President's private bathroom, the President had a gold urinal.

That evening, Bill and Hillary were getting ready for bed. Hillary turned to Bill and said, "Well, I found out who peed in your saxophone."

Note: No political intent should be inferred from either the content or the reason for posting this. It is simply a sax joke...just like Bill's playing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts