Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was away for a few weeks and left my B&S earthtone/Sandblast finish tenor out of the case in the basement. This stupidity has left my horn with several areas of black spots, perhaps mildew spots. I tried a little soap and water and then pledge and absolutley nothing came off. Before I continue, I am seeking advice on how to remove these black spots. Please help.

Best,
Alan

·
Registered
205 Posts
If it does not come off with a gentle rub of a damp (not soaking wet) cotton cloth you have corrosion. In that case there is nothing more to do, but not to repeat the same mistake.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Pannonia said:
If it does not come off with a gentle rub of a damp (not soaking wet) cotton cloth you have corrosion. In that case there is nothing more to do, but not to repeat the same mistake.
Mildew won't grow on metal, will it? Surely this is oxidation.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was thinking oxidation as well. Unless the spots are on the pads themselves. Perhaps you can try one of those jewelry polishing cloths, the ones that are doubled and sewn together, usually they are grey and yellow. Or maybe a yellow lacquer polishing cloth for instruments - available at music stores everywhere. It's hard to recommend something because everthing could cause something funky to happen to the finish. Avoid brasso or metal polishes, unless the horn is bare metal and you want a shiny finish....don't ask, I don't like to talk about it.....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Mildew won't grow on metal, will it? Surely this is oxidation.
No, not mildew, but bacteria can colonize in saliva even on a brass surface, especially in a possibly damp environment like a basement. We do not know Alan's sax hygene habits or the lack of...
Basements tend to have all the prefect elements to cause tarnish: oxygen, water vapor and elevated levels of sulphur.
The lacquer polish cloth will not work on the Earthtone. The damage is on the metal is UNDER the porous lacquer.
My CJS Earthtone is starting to look like a farm implement, but it still plays great! :headbang:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Bod, it won't come off.
The ET's laq is designed to corrode, believe it or not.

·
5,076 Posts
Pannonia said:
No, not mildew, but bacteria can colonize in saliva even on a brass surface, especially in a possibly damp environment like a basement. We do not know Alan's sax hygene habits or the lack of...
Basements tend to have all the prefect elements to cause tarnish: oxygen, water vapor and elevated levels of sulphur.
The lacquer polish cloth will not work on the Earthtone. The damage is on the metal is UNDER the porous lacquer.
My CJS Earthtone is starting to look like a farm implement, but it still plays great! :headbang:

:shock:

Alan, I'm sorry, but I CAN'T accept that dinner invitation. I have to . . . I ought to . . . uh . . . I hear my mommy calling me!

·
5,076 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
:shock:

Alan, I'm sorry, but I CAN'T accept that dinner invitation. I have to . . . I ought to . . . uh . . . I hear my mommy calling me!

who's alan?:dontknow:

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,204 Posts
bod, If it IS mildew there are a few options you can try.

1. Dilute 3% hydrogen peroxide 50/50 with water and dab the spots with a Q-tip or cotton ball depending on how large the 'spots' are. Let it air dry in sunlight.

2. Dab the spots with fresh, not from concentrate lemon juice. Let air dry in sunlight. You'll want to rince off the juice after it dries. STICKY

3. Rename the sax Spot, and keep playing. Use those ugly black marks as a gentle reminder to NOT leave it in the basement for extended periods. That is until you save up enough to have it refinished.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
I was going to ask this question in fact. I noticed that the earthone finish of my B&S is wearing of rapidly, and I mean at a speed I never held possible. I know I have rather corrosive hands, noticed that in the past already, so I take care to clean my sax and neck after every time I played them.

Yet, after only a small year the body looks completely spotted, and on the areas where I grab them often, the lacquer is disappearing at a fast rate. I thought it was me, but apparently this happens more often.

I thought this would be due to the fact that all the small pits in the lacquer are perfect areas for corrosion. So earthtone is in fact only to look at when you buy it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
In many regions, "earth" is synonymous with "dirt", hence the earthtone finish is, by design, destined to look like a fallow garden plot. Isn't that what so many of the anti-finish crowd are craving?

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. ;)

I'm glad that they play well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts