Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to clean this conn wonder I just recently got, and before I start with FLITZ cleaner, I want to make sure Flitz is OK to use, and also if anyone has any suggestions for a better product. Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,492 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Matt Stohrer has excellent information on how he does Silver Polishing. I’ve used his technique and got incredible results.

The biggest tip is before you start polishing make sure the surface is very very clean.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,051 Posts
Matt Stohrer has excellent information on how he does Silver Polishing. I’ve used his technique and got incredible results.

The biggest tip is before you start polishing make sure the surface is very very clean.
Could you post the link, please?

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Any attempt to clean and polish the body with the keys on is next to impossible to do a good job with all the nooks and crannies under the key work, not to mention the springs. These photos show how it is done professionally as part of a vintage sax restoration.

- Once the keys and springs are removed the body is thoroughly washed using soft brushes and warm soapy water.
- Next it is rinsed and dryed using compressed air, it is given a bath in "Empire" silver cleaner and tarnish remover.
- Then it is rinsed and dried and mounted on a holding fixture shaped like a piano leg.
- It is then it sprayed with Haggertys Silver Polish which dries to a pink haze followed by hand ragging with strips of cotton flannel until all of the "pink" is gone.
- The last step is to give it another bath in warm soapy water. Then it is rinsed, and blow dried.
- If it has a gold wash inside the bell, that is polished using a special gold polish cloth.

Misc 244.jpg True Tone Soprano 006.jpg True Tone Soprano 011.jpg True Tone Soprano 013.jpg

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
It's also possible to do a reasonable job at home, but it will take very much longer and you need to put some little corks over the ends of those OUCH! springs. It won't look as complete as what Saxoclese shows. At a minimum you are going to have to take off the keywork.

Polishing the keys is also a PITA because of all the nooks and crannies.

All of this is why I haven't polished any of my silver plated saxophones (4) or flutes (2) in decades. I think they look just fine with their patina shading from grey underneath the works to silver where they are handled.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Any attempt to clean and polish the body with the keys on is next to impossible to do a good job with all the nooks and crannies under the key work, not to mention the springs. These photos show how it is done professionally as part of a vintage sax restoration.

- Once the keys and springs are removed the body is thoroughly washed using soft brushes and warm soapy water.
- Next it is rinsed and dryed using compressed air, it is given a bath in "Empire" silver cleaner and tarnish remover.
- Then it is rinsed and dried and mounted on a holding fixture shaped like a piano leg.
- It is then it sprayed with Haggertys Silver Polish which dries to a pink haze followed by hand ragging with strips of cotton flannel until all of the "pink" is gone.
- The last step is to give it another bath in warm soapy water. Then it is rinsed, and blow dried.
- If it has a gold wash inside the bell, that is polished using a special gold polish cloth.
John, that's gorgeous.......and a ton of work! Thanks for sharing!

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts