Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
Conn: 6M, 26M, 28M, 30M. Barone Bb soprano. Conn C-melody, C soprano. Antigua bari.
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, O Fonts of Wisdom!

I have a couple of Conn altos with the double-socket neck design (6M, 26M, 28M). Cleaning the tenon (the part on the body of the sax) is easy enough, but what's the best way to clean the joint area on the neck?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have the same question, DLC. The tenon on my Zephyr alto oxidized, and the double-socket neck was hard to assemble. My tech, now retired, somehow cleaned it up in 5 minutes. Ever since, I wipe the tenon dry religiously, but will doubtless have to clean it again someday.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,646 Posts
Chem bath.

Or in lieu of that, buy a very thin/narrow brush (such as a trumpet mouthpiece brush) and some Wrights copper cream, followed up with a soapy cleaning/rinse. again with the mouthpiece brush

(I am assuming your concern is the area between the outer surface of the neck tenon and the inner surface of the double-socket collar)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I like to use cotton Dills pipe cleaners twisted together and soaked in a bit of cheap valve oil which is a great cleaning agent. Run the soaked ones around several times, followed by the dry. "Polishing" inside there is a different matter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts