I use to soak mine in 3 percent hydrogen peroxide. Alcohol does weird stuff to metal.augustgarage said:Hello.
What is the best way to clean / disinfect a head-joint? Swab lightly with alcohol (which should then evaporate), wait, swab lightly with water, dry with clean handkerchief?
I'll try the bottle brush and hot water (I always swab the inside really well and polish the outside when I am done playing), or maybe I'll just hold the lip plate over some boiling water for a few moments (a little steam ought to do the trick).Gordon (NZ) said:Cleaning: Bottle brush and hot water, maybe a little detergent.
(Shouldn't really be needed. Just swab it dry after use... I hope you are not blowing food, saliva and dead mouth lining tissue down the flute!!)
Disinfecting? I don't think you will catch anything from playing a flute, that you wouldn't more likely catch from eating utensils at a restaurant or at home, or from the tap you turn off after washing at a toilet, or a door handle, or your finger, or indeed the air you breathe when near other people.....
Just don't lick all over the head, or suck damp stuff out of it, or clean the embouchure hole with your tongue!
And don't work yourself neurotic about micro-organisms in our environment. Our bodies have evolved to deal with them very effectively. And there is now evidence suggesting that if our immune systems do not have plenty to do, especially during childhood, then it malfunctions, causes problems such as asthma.