Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After playing cane reeds since I started playing Alto Sax in 5th grade, I purchased a synthetic reed for the first time earlier this year. Bought a Legere Studio Cut. I have used it almost exclusively since I purchased it in the early summer. Lately it has been smelling a little funky. Does anyone do more than just rinse it?
Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
397 Posts
I rinse it after EVERY use. I use a soft cloth to wipe it dry.
Anything you stick in your mouth consistently is going to start to smell if you simply rinse it.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,951 Posts
Warm water and a little detergent, ideally wash it just before it gets stinky. Wash out the mouthpiece as well, that could be the source of all stickiness. But if it's HR, just use cold or tepid water, not warm or hot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
I use hydrogen peroxide on my reeds and wash the mouthpieces with antibiotic hand soap, small tooth brush and warm water rinse. Normal procedure is to take a reed off the mouthpiece after a playing session, wipe reed and mouthpiece, put reed in Reed Guard and mouthpiece in a pouch. Then I'll do the cleaning every few sessions. Taking the reed off a metal mouthpiece is mandatory to prevent corrosion on the table, and its always a good idea to keep your reeds in a device that will keep them straight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts