Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow members, how would you guys go about cleaning a Brute Tenor? Is there a certian thing i need to clean it? Anything i should avoid?

Any suggestions will help! Thanks!

GBrute.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,273 Posts
Avoid rubbing too much because the finish will polish off. Much like a bare brass horn: if you give it a quick wipe down before the water spots dry, you can hold off the beautiful ugliness a little longer. Let it dry, and good luck!

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
I don't know exactly what a Brute tenor is, but I suspect you can clean it the same way you'd clean any tenor: dump any condensation that pooled up in the bell, swab the neck with a pull-through, and the body using either a bigger pull-through, or a no-lint pad saver (HW makes a good one) if you like those. Avoid getting key mechanisms wet!!

If you want to reduce G# key stickiness, gently slide a business card between the low C# key and its tonehole before putting the horn back in its case--this lifts the G# key ever-so-slightly off its tonehole as it dries. I also wipe the mouthpiece dry after rehearsals/gigs, and take a soft toothbrush and some mild hand soap to it when I'm done practicing. If the horn is lacquered, you can always wipe it down with a slightly-damp cloth during a boring rehearsal. Otherwise, just use a dry handkerchief to wipe off dust as you see fit.

Most of all, though, remember that horns get knocks and scratches, and when yours does, it'll be the sign of a sax that's been well-loved.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you're getting "water" spots, white vinegar on a q-tip can help to dissolve it. I spray Lemon Pledge Furniture Polish on a cloth and wipe the horn with it every week or so. Keeps the spit stains from sticking in the first place.

·
Banned
32 Posts
You'll have to be careful. I don't know if the Brute has a lacquer overcoat or if it's bare patina. Find out, because I don't even want to know what'll happen to your finish if it isn't lacquered and you clean it using a lacquer cloth! I would look into water, too. Rain slaughters the lacquer on the marching band's horns.
Just contact Cannonball's customer support and see what they say about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts