Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a silver BAM case that seems to scratch if I look at it wrong. I've tried getting the scratches out with their recommended car paint scratch compound idea, and it's not working. Anyone else have a solution?

Thanks so much!

Best,
Max

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,243 Posts
Is that the one with the aluminum exterior? If so, just accept it for what it is - you won't get all the scratches out without mechanical polishing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the one with the aluminum exterior. And that's just foolish given it's cost. This thing gets beat up faster than...pick your metaphor....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,099 Posts
Is that the one with the aluminum exterior? If so, just accept it for what it is - you won't get all the scratches out without mechanical polishing.
If it protects what's inside you're getting your moneys worth...I know that's not what you want to hear, but the reality is that cases get put on the floor, slid into beds of trucks, have other cases stacked on top (or at least beside) and then they ride to the gig. Every scratch and scuff is a reason to be glad you own it. Even if you cart your own and are super careful, one day you'll take it in for repairs and the tech will store it with all the other instruments in the que...Scratch.

·
33,243 Posts
It is the one with the aluminum exterior. And that's just foolish given it's cost. This thing gets beat up faster than...pick your metaphor....
You're correct - it is foolish to buy a case with a polished metal exterior and expect it to not show scratches. It would be a really bad choice to drive a DeLorean in a demolition derby.

Aluminum is a very soft metal - but you knew that.

I'll admit to being among the keep-it-shiny crowd - I had a Cavallaro cover for my Walt Johnson case. I do take measures not to intentionally scuff my BAM Softpack case.

But at the end of the day, it's what is inside that matters.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Won't help you much now but if I were buying a case like this and wanted to keep I looking nice I might take it to one of those places that applies window tinting and clear paint protection film and have them put that on the case. Of course it might cost as much as the case to have it applied. A case cover would also be an option but then you don't get to show off the case.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I have a black BAM softpak case. It got scuffed by a drummer carting his gear and knocking the case. Luckily, I was able to remove the scratches using Meguiar's cleaner wax and some elbow grease.

·
33,243 Posts
Won't help you much now but if I were buying a case like this and wanted to keep I looking nice I might take it to one of those places that applies window tinting and clear paint protection film and have them put that on the case. Of course it might cost as much as the case to have it applied. A case cover would also be an option but then you don't get to show off the case.
Hmmm, plastic slip covers, anyone?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear you, I hear you....Though it does make me miss my old Walt Johnson...annnnnnyway...thanks for the council, as always.

·
33,243 Posts
I hear you, I hear you....Though it does make me miss my old Walt Johnson...annnnnnyway...thanks for the council, as always.
Hey, it's all good, right?

Funny. You're concerned about keeping it shiny (as do I), while a parallel thread is seeking that street-cred patina on a one-year-old Yamaha.

Tenor - It's what matters.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
This is helpful I'm thinking to getting a BAM today. My selmer paris flight case is nice and in good shape (five latches and all) but I'd like a nice new looking one. The softpack looks nice and the zipper would be a new thing....How is that zipper btw? don't zippers usually come undone over time? The Defense looks cool, but now I'm concerned about it getting scuffed up to easily. The orange colored back pack straps look coool too.

The cabine and defense look best from the side. When looking at it from the top they look a litle awkward. Maybe its just the photos. Well I'm leaning towards the defense. I do like the four latches look.

Curious is the soft pack much larger?

Is there a shop that has the defense in stock?

·
33,243 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,840 Posts
I have the Cabine and find it to be one of the most protective cases I have ever owned. The $200 upgrade for aluminum seemed exorbitant to me.

·
Registered
774 Posts
This is helpful I'm thinking to getting a BAM today. My selmer paris flight case is nice and in good shape (five latches and all) but I'd like a nice new looking one. The softpack looks nice and the zipper would be a new thing....How is that zipper btw? don't zippers usually come undone over time? The Defense looks cool, but now I'm concerned about it getting scuffed up to easily. The orange colored back pack straps look coool too.

The cabine and defense look best from the side. When looking at it from the top they look a litle awkward. Maybe its just the photos. Well I'm leaning towards the defense. I do like the four latches look.

Curious is the soft pack much larger?

Is there a shop that has the defense in stock?
I have the Ref. 54 Alto and Tenor, which come with the BAM Soft pack. I've had no problem with the zippers since 2006. The frame in the BAM tenor case broke, and I replace that case with the BAM Cabine last year. I'm very happy with the Cabine.

The Cabine is quite a bit smaller than the Soft Pack (check Bam.com for the exact dimensions). I do like the smaller form of the Cabine, but I miss the rubber like material on the back of the Soft Pack, which keeps the case from sliding. The Cabine is a little slippery, and tends to slide on some surfaces. I thought I'd prefer the latches but I actually miss the zipper, but have had no problems with the latches. I guess I've just gotten use to working the zippers for so many years.

All things considered, I do prefer the Cabine. Just ordered one for my alto. Ordered it from Matthews Music...best prices I've seen for BAM cases, and overseas shipping was reasonable.
http://www.matthewsmuziek.nl/

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
The Softpak is just slightly bigger. For air travel the Cabine is best, lighter and smaller, plus it can be worn as a backpack.

Overall I still prefer the Softpak though for 2 reasons:

1- the storage compartment under the sax has a hard lid that prevents small items from moving around, while on the Cabine it's open. I only store a swab and neck strap in the Cabine while in the Softpak I carry those items plus a reed case, cork grease, extra individual reeds, mouthpiece swap, cleaning cloth. all well secured under the lid, under the horn. neck and mouthpiece in the bell in both cases.
2- although I prefer latches over zipper, I find the BAM latches on the Cabine too easy to open by accident. they have a protruding lip that tends to catch on things and easily open. when traveling I always lock the latches with the key that comes with it. I've had my Softpak for a couple years now with no issues with the zipper.

·
33,243 Posts
Thanks, LittleMushi and Guto, for the conversation. I am going to order another Softpack for my OBT.

Like Guto, I would be concerned about latches popping open. I have no issues with the zipper on the BAM/Borgani Softpack, and recently had another Borgani that belonged to Eric Falcon - although the outside of its BAM case was very worn, the zippers were in great condition.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts