Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my enthusiasm on a cleaning session.
I have this 1927 Buescher Truetone alto for 6 years now and often cleaned it with a very mild shampoo.
But now I used a metal polish that didn't leave any dirt or residue on the sax.
It was very easy to wipe off the 86 years of dirt (yes, whipe, not scratch or hard cleaning...I could play in a cleaning commercial now...just gentl whipe over the surface).
Amazingly my whole sax became a golden sax now, I almost don't recognize it anymore.

I try to upload some before and after pictures here, hope it works.
The after pictures were difficult to take, as I can't help seeing the reflection of myself and the camera ;-)

voor en na poetsbeurt 5.jpg

voor en na poetsbeurt 1.jpg

voor en na poetsbeurt 4.jpg

voor en na poetsbeurt 3.jpg

voor en na poetsbeurt 2.jpg

Grtz,
Maike

·
Distinguished SOTW Member & Forum Contributor 2016
1,604 Posts
Dang...looks good!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,646 Posts
Looks like it is bare brass...now. May have been lacquered at sometime, but the 'before' pics look like patina which would develop on bare brass over the years.

Cool.....here is something I would like to see: photos of the horn 2 months from now. Assuming you do not polish it up, I would expect it will have begun to patina again, but the patina will be quite different. I always find it interesting how various bare brass horns age differently, even in the same climate....

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Further to my previous post, it might be worth saying I have used the wax myself to good effect.

My first project horn was a Buescher TT Sop which I repaired under the close direction and supervision of Stephen Howard ( http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Notes/sax_doctor.htm )

The instrument looks very similar now to just after I repaired it a few years ago. I just give it a rub occasionally after playing it. I put the wax on once after it was repaired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts