Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are these mouthpieces? Quality, consistency, sound...etc. wise?
I'm looking at something about .070ish opening, which model would be closest?
Currently playing a Rico Metalite M7, which is slightly too small for me, too bright and too thin sounding. I'm looking for something with versatility, bright, projecting, but warm.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
I was suprised by Lakey soprano mouthpiece that I played, much warmer anymore versatile than the alto mPc's I once had.
I think you might be surprised, but try a bigger one.....

·
14,268 Posts
The Lakey soprano pieces, for me, are too warm and spread. I used one on a tour of Israel many years ago (on a MKVI sop) and by the end of the tour, I was finished. No projection whatsoever. Yes, I should have taken other pieces with me.

I have two in 5* and one in 7* tips, whatever those measurements are. They are much more open than my favorite soprano mouthpieces (which run between .065 and .070). Plus, the barrels are bigger than my favorite mouthpieces, so it is an extra hassle to try to play them if I want to keep my favorite pieces on the horns (I know about plumbers tape and paper wraps, etc.).

I got them directly from Claude when he lived in Arleta, CA. Maybe the folks who make his pieces now have changed their designations. I DO use his clarinet mouthpieces and my daughter loves her Lakey alto piece. Everyone is different. DAVE

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is there a mouthpiece out there, preferably under 100$ -ish, that gives the bright projection AND the warm?

·
3,003 Posts
try a runyon custom

I know some players who have had success with selmer super sessions too.

·
2,960 Posts
selmer supersession comes close to what you want. i played lakey sop 5 for many years on an old king straight sop-worked perfect and plenty of projection and power. try a runyon custom if you can handel the small bite

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean, I'm playing a Metalite right now, with more or less of an R&B sound, which is just about what I'm looking for.
I've had rather bad experiences with a JodyJazz Classic on tenor, so I'm not as keen to try a Custom, since they're quite alike. Be hard to find one too.
try a runyon custom if you can handel the small bite
What do you mean by small bite?

·
14,268 Posts
Runyons have a smaller beak-width than most soprano mouthpieces, thus they don't feel as big in your mouth.

Interesting that super20dan got something out of his Lakeys that I couldn't get - just shows how different we all are when it comes to mouthpieces. But I agree that the Super Sessions are bright and project very well - for me. I have three SS-J pieces and all play the same. I also have an SS-E but it requires harder reeds and gives me less power and flexibility.

I normally don't give or take mouthpiece advice just because of the individuality of mouthpieces, but when a poster said he liked the SS-J and then said he'd changed to Morgan Vintage, I thought it would be worth a try. I now use Morgan Vintage 6 and 7 and like them a lot. They play great on all of my sopranos, modern and vintage. You're looking at more than $100.00, though. I think a Super Session will run you around $150.00 - don't know about the Morgans anymore - it was a while ago that I bought mine. I know a few players who went with the SS-J and liked them. The smaller ones (below J) don't seem to be as popular, at least from the things I've read. DAVE

·
14,268 Posts
When I first came upon the Plasticovers, I liked them. But after some use, the little black flakes of coating coming off bothered me. And most of them felt dull to me.

I recognize that reeds can make a huge difference as to how a mouthpiece plays. For instance, I recently put a Fibracell Premier 1 1/2 on a Selmer C* alto and voila! That is what I'm using now on alto and it works great for me. When I use Fibracells on soprano, not so hot . . . either too stiff OR difficult intonation control (and that's on several different pieces).

To tip-measurements, I've read charts where Selmer lists the J facings at .069, just to be specific. DAVE

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use a Claude Lakey 7* on my soprano. I get plenty of projection and warmth. I can play high G and low Bb without much difficulty. I had to wrap tape around my neck to get the mouthpiece to fit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts