Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a few Claude Lakey's claiming to be originals, hand made by Claude Lakey. Not that I don't believe the seller or anything, but is there anyway of telling a difference between the originals and the current mass produced ones? I do have one of the current ones now but have not received the "originals", or else I would try to see for myself.

Any info would be grateful. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Super Moderator
26,400 Posts
The originals suck less than the newer ones.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
They have probably changed the material over the years, just guessing. I bought one new fairly recently - though likely had been sitting on the shelf for some time - and it's a relatively soft plastic. I mean, I can't put my fingernail into it, but it doesn't have the brittle hardness of hard rubber, acrylic etc.

Now their newer line, I have an Ebonite Apollo tenor mouthpiece, that's milled out of a harder material - my favorite mouthpiece. Not a whole lot like the Original, which is what they're calling the old style screamer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Saxguy123! We thought we'd jump in here and answer a few of your questions! With a picture, we can easily identify the years a specific one of our mouthpieces was made, if you shoot us an email with those attached, we can let you know! [email protected]
Regarding the difference between our current products and older pieces, we use the same material, same manufacturer, and the same hand-finishing process. The quality has improved significantly with technology over the past fifty years, we are able to have much more precision. Even with higher precision we hand-finish to focus on the details for a higher level of quality assurance.

Hope that answers some of your questions, and we look forward to identifying the mouthpiece era for you!
Happy Holidays,
Claude Lakey Team

·
Registered
101 Posts
The originals suck less than the newer ones.
Ha Ha How true - for sure the part about the new pieces sucking !!
Few years back - got one from Sax Alley - it was chirping so Tim sent to Theo -
Theo couldn't do anything with it. I sent back to Lakey - talked to a guy on the phone -
Lakey sent piece back to me Screwed Up worse than ever.

If they had done business right - they would have sent me back a different piece - one that they
CHECKED FOR ACCURACY (HELLO) - But I guess that would have been too much trouble.
So I just put it in the drawer

Also FWIW Beechler is just as bad - had same experience
They just pulled another screwed up piece off the production line worse than the one I sent back.
Although Judy is very nice lady
I just put it in the drawer and moved on

While I'm on a roll !!
Got a Runyon Quantum few years back - Facing (needless to say was inaccurate) and the size not even
stamped on the piece !! Sent it back - Leroy stamped it and messed up the plating and sent the mess back to
me instead of sending me a good one !!

I could go on - I have some other crap in the drawer
Don't even get me started on Dukoff (the all-time leader of Crap)
Oh well - a sign of the times I guess
Should always get everything from WWBW !! or at least be sure you have a trial period

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,457 Posts
Should always get everything from WWBW !! or at least be sure you have a trial period
Or try a reputable mouthpiece maker with a trial/return policy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts