Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried the claude lakey metal alto "apollo series" ???

Are they on the dark side (metal otto link type...) or more on the edgy side ? (dukoff style...)

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I remember trying a Lakey brass tenor piece out at Woodwind Exchange a few years ago and the sound was enormous! warm and fat, nothing like the plastic Lakey's.
Lakeys have been very popular for years over here in UK--and unfairly IMO they do tend to get a lot of bad press.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
I have not tried an alto but I have a tenor model on my web page. After rebuilding terrible plastic ones this one was a surprise. Its made quite well and has a nice tenor sound that isnt too harsh.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I actually have one of these in a 7 facing that I acquired recently that I'm about to put up for sale in the marketplace!
Mine has only a bit of plating wear on the table, but is otherwise in excellent condition!

It plays really nice! It's full and has plenty of power and keeps an even tone when pushed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,942 Posts
Anyone tried the claude lakey metal alto "apollo series" ???

Are they on the dark side (metal otto link type...) or more on the edgy side ? (dukoff style...)
Have you read the Lakey website?

http://www.claudelakey.com/Apollo_Brass_Alto_p/claba.htm

Check their descriptions with respect to tip opening: "Very bright, rich, sharp sound that cuts through anything.", "Super crisp, sharp sound with great balance and projection. Explosive highs and lows and extremely versatile. Will not be over blown.", and "Rich, bright, big, powerful mouthpiece."

"Access to the 4th octave has never been easier..." - squeaks on demand?

A Meyer clone for sure... :twisted:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:whistle:Of course Dr G it is the first thing I read I'm not stupid :clown::clown::clown:, but OK no problem and thanks for the link . DR G, I know and always love your sarcasms :smack:. But sorry these descriptions are only advertisements for me

I want true and real experiments by players
not by a supplier who only want to sell, I'm not sure that these mpc (regarding the design) are very bright, sharp + magic access to 4th octave etc... something like a super saxworks --> definitely it is a pure advertisement

I've also writen email to them --> they explain me very kindly that alu version is more edgy than the gold one. That's an interesting point

Compare to a 6*3 (claude lakey HR, I play this type of mpc) the equivalence is between a 7 or a 8 regarding the Apollo line (according to us)

If someone play a HR Lakey and also an Apollo mpc it will be super usefull for me to write your comment !!!! :bluewink:

Dr G do you play a Meyer ??? regarding your comment it is a Meyer Clone :

"Very bright, rich, sharp sound that cuts through anything.", "Super crisp, sharp sound with great balance and projection. Explosive highs and lows . Will not be over blown.", and "Rich, bright, big, powerful mouthpiece."
This absolutely not the description of a Meyer. We are really all different or is it again one of your joke ? :faceinpalm:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts