Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there. I am an alto player currently playing a Yamaha YAS-62. I'm looking for a new horn sometime soon, and based on what I've read about Phil Barone's horns, I've decided to give them a good, hard look. I need a horn suited for both jazz and classical literature, and I'm wondering whether that should influence my decision on whether to purchase a Classic or Vintage Barone. I'm serious about both styles of music, and I don't want to be THAT GUY who plays classical with a fat, bright tone, or that guy who gets up on the bandstand with a tiny sound. I haven't heard any classical music played on a Barone, so I'm wondering how they would sound in that context. Thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Why do you think you need another horn? A Yamaha 62 is a perfectly fine horn for either style providing you find a mouthpiece setup for each style.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Keep that YAS-62 for sure. It'll do you good for both genres. I own one myself, and its perfectly fine. I just change mouthpieces depending on the situation.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Keep the Yamaha and get some mouthpieces! The Yamaha YAS-62 is used just as much as a classical sax as a jazz sax by thousands of players, and can sound fat and vintage too, with the right mouthpiece!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I actually discovered Taiwan horns by trying out a Cannonball while my Yamaha 62 was getting something tweaked in the shop. I found to my surprise that the CB on the wall had a slightly richer, more "mature" sounding tone than the Yamaha I just had touched up. Five other taiwan horns later (four additional cannonballs plus a PB MAC 8 (what Phil professes to be the same horn as his "Vintage"), I haven't looked back.

However, really, the difference in my sound between the Yamaha 62 and other nice saxes is really slight. I sound like I sound because of my embouchure, mouthpiece, and perhaps even my slight underbite. I think having a classical mouthpiece would make a big difference. On my myspace page, my demo clips are on both the Yamaha 62 and a Cannonball global series.

At my gig Sat nite, I was subbing in a horn band for the first time, and as I was noodling warming up on my MAC8 and RPC 112B mouthpiece, the trumpet player said- "Man, that is really a sweet classic tenor sound you're getting, but it's got some punch!"

Finally, I would advise against getting rid of your Yamaha 62 or ANY OTHER SAX until you have obtained one that you KNOW plays better!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
I actually discovered Taiwan horns by trying out a Cannonball while my Yamaha 62 was getting something tweaked in the shop. I found to my surprise that the CB on the wall had a slightly richer, more "mature" sounding tone than the Yamaha I just had touched up. Five other taiwan horns later (four additional cannonballs plus a PB MAC 8 (what Phil professes to be the same horn as his "Vintage"), I haven't looked back.

However, really, the difference in my sound between the Yamaha 62 and other nice saxes is really slight. I sound like I sound because of my embouchure, mouthpiece, and perhaps even my slight underbite. I think having a classical mouthpiece would make a big difference. On my myspace page, my demo clips are on both the Yamaha 62 and a Cannonball global series.

At my gig Sat nite, I was subbing in a horn band for the first time, and as I was noodling warming up on my MAC8 and RPC 112B mouthpiece, the trumpet player said- "Man, that is really a sweet classic tenor sound you're getting, but it's got some punch!"

Finally, I would advise against getting rid of your Yamaha 62 or ANY OTHER SAX until you have obtained one that you KNOW plays better!
yeah yeah we know by now that you are an endorser

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,578 Posts
I'm serious about both styles of music, and I don't want to be THAT GUY who plays classical with a fat, bright tone, or that guy who gets up on the bandstand with a tiny sound. I haven't heard any classical music played on a Barone, so I'm wondering how they would sound in that context. Thoughts on this?
I am inferring that you feel that classical requires a small sound. I'd say you are listening to the wrong classical players in that case.

In my opinion, the best players, classical or jazz, will have big fat sounds as well as full control over the level of refinement needed to serve the music they want to produce. There are plenty of players who fit those criteria and even more who don't.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all, I appreciate the advice. I am not looking to get rid of the Yamaha immediately, but ultimately find something that plays better. As my ear has progressed, I've noticed some serious tuning issues on the Yamaha, and from what I understand, Phil's horns are consistent and reliable in that aspect. Head to head reviews have placed Barone horns above Mark VI's, and I'm doubting anyone would argue that the average YAS-62 is better than a Mark VI. I currently play a Meyer 6M and a Vandoren A17 (which I am in most cases happy with), so I'm not just looking for a better mouthpiece. My Yamaha has been through a lot, and I'm sort of looking for a fresh start.

In terms of the sound I'm after, I understand that classical players need a big sound too. What I was getting at is that I need a horn that is appropriate for all scenarios. So back to my original question....assuming that I'm going to TRY a Barone horn, Classic or Vintage?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
yeah yeah we know by now that you are an endorser
There seems to be some toxic element on this site that operates on the assumption that being supportive of a brand is somehow ultimately discrediting.

Unlike the previous posters, I'm one of the few people on the planet who has actually played at least one YTS-62 and at least one Barone-labeled import at length. I'm sharing my personal impressions as a real player, like anyone else- no more, no less. Yes, I granted both Barone and Crouch permission to share my positive words about the tenor I bought from the two of them (at the time), but if I come across a tenor for sale I like even better, I'll buy it. However, I'll still think my tenor is a very nice sax.

I took a big chance on ordering one of these instruments, was amply rewarded for taking that risk, and am relating that experience.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,882 Posts
Hello there. I am an alto player currently playing a Yamaha YAS-62. I'm looking for a new horn sometime soon, and based on what I've read about Phil Barone's horns, I've decided to give them a good, hard look. I need a horn suited for both jazz and classical literature, and I'm wondering whether that should influence my decision on whether to purchase a Classic or Vintage Barone. I'm serious about both styles of music, and I don't want to be THAT GUY who plays classical with a fat, bright tone, or that guy who gets up on the bandstand with a tiny sound. I haven't heard any classical music played on a Barone, so I'm wondering how they would sound in that context. Thoughts on this?
There is no such thing as a classical saxophone. You can play any style on any horn. I suggest you keep the 62, maybe have it overhauled or something. They're good horns. Sounds to me like you've got GAS.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Get the Barone, but keep the Yamaha. Also, nice choice in mouthpiece with that 6M, for both Jazz and Classical.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There seems to be some toxic element on this site that operates on the assumption that being supportive of a brand is somehow ultimately discrediting.
Agreed.

As a newbie on SOTW, I find these sorts of comments distracting to those who are seeking information. Better we all seek to elevate the learning level than to dismiss a post out of hand as invalid for some personal reason.

Per the OP, I'm in the "mouth piece variety" and "save the YAS" camp as being the 98% solution to your question. A cost effective way to limit GAS expenditures. [ GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome ...or: More stuff is never enough.]

GPD

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll admit I don't know much about setting up/maintaining saxophones. Would having someone take a good look at my Yamaha alleviate any of the tuning issues?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts

Unlike the previous posters, I'm one of the few people on the planet who has actually played at least one YTS-62 and at least one Barone-labeled import at length. I'm sharing my personal impressions as a real player, like anyone else- no more, no less. Yes, I granted both Barone and Crouch permission to share my positive words about the tenor I bought from the two of them (at the time), but if I come across a tenor for sale I like even better, I'll buy it. However, I'll still think my tenor is a very nice sax.

I took a big chance on ordering one of these instruments, was amply rewarded for taking that risk, and am relating that experience.
I thought you were just somebody who was promoting brand x. my apologies

1 - 20 of 31 Posts