Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been decades since I've really kept up with what most classical/traditional alto players use. I have a student who's looking for that type of mouthpiece and I really don't know what to tell him. Does Selmer still make the S80 C*? Also, what Vandoren HR model would be pretty much the equivalent to the S80 C*? Any other ideas would be welcomed as well. By the way, this is a middle school kid and he's not looking to break his piggy bank too terribly.

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I usually have students check out a Selmer C*, Selmer Concept, and Vandoren Optimum AL3 from WWBW and see if anything clicks for them. Those on a tighter budget usually pick the Vandoren, those who have enough money to purely choose the one they like the most usually go with the Concept, and almost nobody seems to choose the C* ..... just my unofficial observations. I believe a used Optimum can be found for under $100 pretty easily. It has a round chamber and can serve as a solid all-purpose mouthpiece for kids who want to play in jazz band as well.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave, thanks for the info! I wasn't sure about the Concept or which Vandoren to recommend. I'll pass along to the little bugger and let him take it from there!

John

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Most of my students play on an AL3 since that is the mouthpiece required for beginning band by most local band programs. (North Texas). It works extremely well. Swims with to S-80 C* because they like the sound. I personally like the older Larry Teal mouthpieces more and a few of my students play on those.
I played long shank soloists for a while and for the past foir months or so have been using the new Yanagisawa classical mouthpiece.
The AL3 would be more of the equivalent of the C* even though it has a larger chamber, smaller too, and round versus square chamber. It is also the less expensive mouthpiece. Based on the recommendations of my local and directors and the success I have had with students using this mouthpiece, I would suggest it.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Andre. I talked to his mom and I believe they'll most likely go with either an AL3 or AL4. I do have an old scroll shank C* that belonged to my dad, but for obvious reasons, want to keep that one from going out into the world and getting trashed. I'll follow up later, once he gets a new mouthpiece and let you all know the results!

Much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts