Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until this year, I have been mostly a classical player, but over the last few months, I've been getting more and more into jazz. It's time I get a new jazz tenor mpc and I've got a few questions on buying. The closest decent music store in my area is about an hour and a half away, and they don't keep a very good stock of mpcs, so I don't have much/any chance of trying several out that way. I plan to order 3 or 4 from prowinds and keep whichever one I feel like works best for me. I'm leaning towards a metal piece, and would like something with similar resistance to my Vandoren Optimum TL4 that I use for classical. What pieces/facings would you guys recommend I try?

Thanks for your help

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
tehnotlocity said:
What pieces/facings would you guys recommend I try?
Your private teacher is Dr. Brian Utley, right?
Who to better know the answer than him. He sees you regularly and his advice should be much more you-specific than what we strangers might speculate about. ;)

(Although I have no doubt you'll get some opinions, nonetheless. :D)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gary said:
Your private teacher is Dr. Brian Utley, right?
Who to better know the answer than him. He sees you regularly and his advice should be much more you-specific than what we strangers might speculate about. ;)

(Although I have no doubt you'll get some opinions, nonetheless. :D)
Most definitely, I've already emailed him, but I'm opened to other suggestions as well :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
tehnotlocity,

I would suggest a round chamber, roll over baffle piece with an opening of around .090" (Otto Link 6) to .100" (Otto Link 7) as a place to start. You would have to use a softer reed than on the TL4 which is only .076". A partial list (and I am sure that you may get other suggestions):

- Rubber Otto Link 6, 6*, 7
- Metal Otto Link 6, 6*, 7
- Morgan 6M, 7M, 6L 7L
- Vandoren Java T75 or Rubber V16 T6

As a first jazz mouthpiece, I am not going to say go out and spend $200 plus until you know where you want to go with your sound. Try before you buy and have fun!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hardbop said:
tehnotlocity,

I would suggest a round chamber, roll over baffle piece with an opening of around .090" (Otto Link 6) to .100" (Otto Link 7) as a place to start. You would have to use a softer reed than on the TL4 which is only .076". A partial list (and I am sure that you may get other suggestions):

- Morgan 6M, 7M, 6L 7L

As a first jazz mouthpiece, I am not going to say go out and spend $200 plus until you know where you want to go with your sound. Try before you buy and have fun!
Thanks for the help. Also, to provide everyone with a little more info, I use a Meyer 5M on my alto for jazz that fits the sound I want very well.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
hardbop said:
tehnotlocity,

- Morgan 6M, 7M, 6L 7L

This is pretty much what I was going to suggest...avoid the high baffle pieces for now. You might also try the Rousseau Studio Jazz pieces; I like the metal ones better on tenor, but if you're coming from a classical background, the hard rubber ones will feel more like what you're used tousing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Yea, the hard rubber Rousseau is very comfortable to come to after a classical piece (I went from a C** to a SJ6). You will have to drop half a reed strength or so though.

If you are using a Meyer 5 on alto you will probably like Link or the Rousseau hard rubber best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts