Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend any good classical soprano mouthpieces? I am looking to buy a new one, but not sure which to try..

Thanks,

Alias sax

·
Registered
957 Posts
Selmer S90-170 (or 180 or 190) with vando blue 3,5 (or 3)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Grevsax, do you have some samples?...

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
Everyone's going to chime in with their favorites...I'll say Morgan (if you can find one) or Vandoren Optimum SL3...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I play a S90-200 with vandoren blue 3.5
Fantastic mouthpieces. I find the 200 is a little more rounded and brighter than the 170 180 or 190.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I play a S90-180 refaced to S90-200 with Vando blue 3. I wonder if it would'nt better with S90-190 with 3,5 ...
Are you confortable Jonathan to play classic music with this set-up?

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is my classical setup.
My comercial setup is a lomax medium with a francois louis lig and rico jazz select 3s

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
I've probably played as many classical soprano pieces as anyone else.

I've owned and used:

Vandoren S27, S15, S25

Selmer D metal, C* rubber

Bilger Gold

Morgan 1C

Babbitt Artist

Caravan (four different ones)

Rascher

...and probably a few more I can't even recall off the top of my head.

I've recorded on all of them as well.

When you get right down to it, I sound like me on all of them - what differs the most for me is the responsiveness of the mouthpiece/reed combo.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Im a fan of the Rousseau NC4. Nice and warm, great response, and the ability to really push the sound.

I like the idea of the SL3, but I would need about a #6 reed to even be able to test it. 4's feel like paper on that piece!

Caravans are very nice too. Easy to blend with those, especially in quartet.

Steve P

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought myself a Meyer mouthpiece some time ago and I love playing it (yes for classical). I also love yanagisawa mouthpieces, but be carefull when you buy them in a shop. There's ALOT of difference between each mouthpiece, so be sure to try them first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies, that is really helpful! Looks like I will have a lot to try.... :)
On a different note, has anyone played 'Lessons of the sky' by Rodney Rogers and have any performance tips etc?!

Thanks again,

Alias sax

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
I would like to play a Selmer S80 C* but my out of tune sax requires an SL3, which I like very much. I use a Vandoren 4 on it.

Steve, you may want to try not using so much air to play the SL3, I use almost none at all, and get what is in my opinion my best classical sound, just very very quietly, which I am guessing Otis Murphy would like.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
Steve P said:
Im a fan of the Rousseau NC4. Nice and warm, great response, and the ability to really push the sound.

I like the idea of the SL3, but I would need about a #6 reed to even be able to test it. 4's feel like paper on that piece!

Caravans are very nice too. Easy to blend with those, especially in quartet.

Steve P

I wonder what a refaced SL3 would be like. This seems to be a common complaint on this mouthpiece (I loved mine, BTW, but then again, I've always used very closed pieces.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Steve P said:
I've played it.
My advice: Count like mad.

Steve P

I'll second that, and for my 2 cents, don't put it at the end of your program. Counting is a lot harder when your tired.

For mouthpiece I'll say Rousseau as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts