Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for suggestions for a mouthpiece for a Martin Baritone that would be suitable for classical work. I've read J. Max's great index of classical mouthpieces, but I was hoping to get advice from people who are actually playing Martin baritones in classical settings, since they may be somewhat idiosyncratic (the horns, not the players). ;)

Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
320 Posts
I'm not a selmer mouthpiece guy, but I like my C* a LOT on bari. I also liked the D I played, and I love my Vandoren Optimum.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,891 Posts
the S80 C* gave me intonation troubles, then I tried some larger ones which helped, but worked best at the time Was a Selmer Soloist F

Now if i need to do classical however, I usually will use a Runyon Custom, very well balanced for classical bari and great for me sinc I dont need to do classical often

·
Distinguished Member
566 Posts
I think vintage saxophones require vintage style mpc's or the intonation is often times suspect. Caravan bari pieces are very good if you want a new mpc, but you also try vintage mpc's.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can sell you a C* that practically brand new. Send me a Pm if you are interested.

·
Registered
800 Posts
pc1234 said:
I'm looking for suggestions for a mouthpiece for a Martin Baritone that would be suitable for classical work. I've read J. Max's great index of classical mouthpieces, but I was hoping to get advice from people who are actually playing Martin baritones in classical settings, since they may be somewhat idiosyncratic (the horns, not the players). ;)

Thanks in advance.

Ridenour Bari sax mp will make your Martin in tune and play like a string instrument with a warm depth beyond anything you have ever tried.
I have one, I know.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. Bar-Ron, I think I will definitely have to try out the Ridenour based on that recommendation! I also think that the Rascher is a possibility (I had suspected that a large chamber piece would be the key).

Thanks again.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
You'll find that the Rascher, Ridenour and Caravan are all made from similar Babbitt large chamber blanks. All of them will work well on that horn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts