Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the scneario:

I have a meyer 6m and a selmer S80 c*. I always wanted dark & warm sound from my meyer but could never produce it do. So I went to the selmer and that worked for a while but it wasn't loud enough. So i'm trying to find a classical mouthpiece that has enough volume for jazz but still has the soft quieter side for classical. Can you guys give me list of good mouth pieces for this problem?

I use a rovner dark lig and vandoren traditional reeds (3) and a yamaha 875ex

I wondering if a selmer S80 with a D or E facing work for jazz music. Also i was wondering about the charestics of the selmer soloist mouth pieces.

thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
A lot of jazz players use Soloists. Kenny Garrett is one example, and happens to be one of my favorites, his is opened up quite a bit, but he gets a great jazz sound out of it.

The Selmer Super Session may work for you as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Try the Rousseau classical models.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I second the Rousseau Classic. I got one on here and it blew my Cstar away. The sound is very warm to me and I can push it way more than the Selmer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
I have played lead on an S-90/190 before and had no problem being heard. Not that it's optimal, but it can be done -even by mere mortals like me.

Before you go on a mouthpiece hunt, try a metal ligature -even a cheap stock one. If you are playing on a dark, restricting (by jazz standards) mouthpiece, the Rovner is only going to make that harder to overcome. Rovners are great if you want to darken your sound, but it's not what you want to do in this case.

I'd also recommend trying some reeds that are aimed at jazz performance. For instance, a plasticover will probably add a great deal of "rawness" (maybe too much) to your sound. The types of reeds you'd automatically reject for classical performance may be just what you need to be able to work with the C*.

·
4,147 Posts
aviator875 said:
but do those have dark sound comparable to a selmer c*?

They are - maybe - a tad brighter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
aviator875 said:
Okay, here's the scneario:

I have a meyer 6m and a selmer S80 c*. I always wanted dark & warm sound from my meyer but could never produce it do. So I went to the selmer and that worked for a while but it wasn't loud enough. So i'm trying to find a classical mouthpiece that has enough volume for jazz but still has the soft quieter side for classical. Can you guys give me list of good mouth pieces for this problem?

I use a rovner dark lig and vandoren traditional reeds (3) and a yamaha 875ex

I wondering if a selmer S80 with a D or E facing work for jazz music. Also i was wondering about the charestics of the selmer soloist mouth pieces.

thanks
You might want to contact EZ, MOJO, or one of the other refacers instead of buying/trying several mouthpieces and still not finding the sound you want. They might be able to tweak a mpc you already have to perform like the mpc. you want.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
martinman, are u referring back to the s90? if so, the s90 sounds good to me now. do they have tip openings that are comparable to a meyer 5 or 6?

·
Registered
121 Posts
a friend of mine uses a regular s-80 C* on alto for jazz/improv, and he sounds GREAT.
www.myspace.com/renwicke
here's a group we're in together..if you clilck on the track called "the argument" that's him playing alto on series III with a s-80 C*. it's a great sound.

·
4,147 Posts
aviator875 said:
martinman, are u referring back to the s90? if so, the s90 sounds good to me now. do they have tip openings that are comparable to a meyer 5 or 6?

I am talking about the CS80

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for replying. I got one new question too. for example would a D or E facing on a C8 be like a meyer 6 in terms of volume?

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
super20dan said:
you want the hite artist .

I second this. I don't know why you'd want one mouthpiece to do everything though. That's like using the handle of a screwdriver to hammer nails; it will work, but you'd be better off buying a hammer.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
aviator875 said:
thanks for replying. I got one new question too. for example would a D or E facing on a C8 be like a meyer 6 in terms of volume?
No.

And I don't think you should look for a mouthpiece to do both. At the same time, if you are developing player, you should have a teacher guide you with these mouthpiece/volume/tone quality questions. Throwing mouthpieces at your problem won't help near as much as some sound embouchere/voicing/air support instruction from a good teacher and some serious practice time.

I have my students play C* for classical and concert band applications and Meyer 5 for their Jazz set-ups. However, I just had the Jody Jazz mouthpieces on trial, and may consider having my students ibn the future pick up the HR* instead of the Meyer as their Jazz piece.

Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay, i'll ask my teacher. Yea i just played saxophone for 2 years now. one last question, I know there is other threads about this question but they don't answer my question.

heres the question:
Would a Peter Ponzol neck give me a dark enough sound for classical if i use a meyer 6. (sorry if i tick you guys off)

thanks

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
aviator875 said:
okay, i'll ask my teacher. Yea i just played saxophone for 2 years now. one last question, I know there is other threads about this question but they don't answer my question.

heres the question:
Would a Peter Ponzol neck give me a dark enough sound for classical if i use a meyer 6. (sorry if i tick you guys off)

thanks
No. If anything, it will make your sound brighter and (depending on the brand of horn) screw up your intonation. Besides, if you can afford a $300 neck, why not use that money to buy a good classical mouthpiece and leave the Meyer for jazz?

Also, if you've only played for two years, perhaps spending some more time practicing might help solve your problems...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts