Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Another good choice is an E. Rousseau. Either one of their "Classical" mouthpieces. Course, I have heard very dark, complex tone coming from a mouthpiece as simple and inexpensive as a Yamaha 4C! That surprised the hell out of me! Young kid (between 16-18 yrs old) playing on a 4C and P. Muariat "Jazz" model sax, soloing for the Heartland Symphony Orchestra.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,387 Posts
Don't know about alto but I heard some Yamiha 62 tenors on 4C pieces and vandoran blue box 3s and they sounded very very good. Almost as dark and complex as a french horn. K

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
831 Posts
I like the C* Selmer on my A901, but I have played the E. Rousseau classic and still prefer the C*. Have not played the Vandoren pieces. Another thing worth mentioning is that none of my ligs would fit right on the Rousseau piece. They were all too small for it. I had heard very good reviews on it, so I trialed one from WWBW but sent it back.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i like A28 but I want to change. i need a sound with more definition, I'm using vandoren 3 (traditional),
i have this mouthpiece by 2 years and the saxophone by 5 months

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
i like A28 but I want to change. i need a sound with more definition, I'm using vandoren 3 (traditional),
i have this mouthpiece by 2 years and the saxophone by 5 months
That short amount of time, and changing gear already?!! Practice will fix in minor pitfalls your current setup may appear to exhibiting. I say this because you say you like your setup, but only want a slight variation in timbre and color change. A simple reed change, and more practice can fix that!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
One usually has to "grow into" an A28. I don't use one, but my limited experience with the A28 indicates to me that it's a great mouthpiece with a dense core to the sound and amazing projection. You need to build chops on it over a period of time, and make sure there is minimal jaw pressure involved. It takes a lot of air.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
631 Posts
for my A992, I am currently using the Selmer Soloist C* vintage or Selmer Larry Teal (LT) modern mpc with PARASCHOS wooden ligature together with VANDOREN ZZ #3.5 or VANDOREN Blue Box #3.
this is my dark setup. With this, I am trying to do subtone throughout the range and I am contented with the results thus far. :) happy exploring!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts