Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering replacing my Series III with an A992, but the III setup does not work as well on the 992. I'm wondering what the rest of you use. Here's my experience to date. All use Vandoren Traditional 2.5/3 and Optimum ligature

AL3 - very good on the Selmer, very resistant on the 992, I find myself biting....

S90/190 - I have hated this mouthpiece on everything until the 992, seems to be the best

S80/C* - This was the piece I used in college, never really liked it, maybe its a bad one,

Morgan 3c - No how, no way...tubby...although I really want to like this piece

One ground rule- lets not get into why the switch, just keep it to the mouthpieces. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How about Yanagisawa metal #7 with RICO #3...

my setup:
Alto:Yanagisawa A-992 (Bronze)
mpc:Yanagisawa metal #7
reed:RICO #3

Don't be doubt...
It's also fine in classical playing not only in Jazz.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Just wanted to bump this and see if there are any other suggestions out there. Also to see if the original poster settled on a piece that is working well... :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
First thing you should do is make sure both horns are sealing top to bottom. Play them again. If the "problem" persists, then try different reeds (cut and strength). Play only the A992 with ONE mouthpiece for a few weeks. Then go back to the Selmer. I'm willing to be that at that point the Selmer will seem to have the problem.

It's really about what you're used to.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I like the larry teal on alto. The stock yani 5 piece is good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for bumping the thread...I actually wound up returning the A992, selling my Series III, and buying a remarkable Series II. The 992 was a very cool horn, but I did not like the classical tone I was getting out of it. If I had a budget for 2 altos, I would have kept it.

I posted a thread on the "horn" side of this process in the Selmer section if you're interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts