Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've played sax for awhile in school. Just jazz mainly, but I made top band out of the two at my school and am looking for a good alto classical mouthpiece. A good recommendation for tenor would be appreciated as well. Marching season just ended so concert band is just starting up.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Dylan, if you take a look here, http://forum.saxontheweb.net/search.php?searchid=2129256 (search function/advanced search/thread topics/classical/alto mouthpiece area) you'll find tons of information, most of it redundant BTW, but there's more than enough info there to help you make your decision.

Nice reading for a quiet Sunday afternoon. :)

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
3,752 Posts
Get a Rascher or a Caravan. Reject whatever goes against Adolphe Sax's original design :D :D :D .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Gary, I figured I knew what thread you were talking about, but I just wanted to make sure, so I clicked on it and a "nothing found" type message came up. I am guessing you were talking about the "index of classical mouthpieces" thread in the classical area.

Dylan, do a search for "index classical mouthpieces" in the classical sax section of the forum and you will find what I (and I think Gary) am referring to.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Well, that's funny. Here, try again: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/search.php?searchid=2130333

Since I gave the link, I wasn't intending on walking someone through how to find it specifically. However, for those inclined, if the process helps in future searches:

"search function/advanced search"=advanced search
"thread topics/classical" = Search by Keyword ("classical"), search titles only
"alto mouthpiece area" = Search Forum/Mouthpieces/alto mpc

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
zxcvbnm said:
Get a Rascher or a Caravan. Reject whatever goes against Adolphe Sax's original design :D :D :D .

Yeah, never evolve and play period instruments. :evil: Funny thing is that Rascher didn't even REALLY believe this - he played on a New Aristocrat which is very different than an Adolphe Sax instrument, and he played on a hard rubber mouthpiece, very different from Sax's original wood pieces.

There are a lot of reasons to play on Rascher School equipment, but that's not one of them. If you want a darker sound, fine. If you like the Rascher sound, fine. If you play best on that type of equipment, fine. But don't try and prove a philosophical point with your equipment...it's ridiculous.

My advice to you (after reading that thread) is to find a good teacher and ask them. Most likely, he/she will recommend an S-80 C*, which is a good starting point. I personally tell most younger players that the Vandoren Optimum AL3 is the best (readily available) piece out there right now.

Yes, I'm extremely grouchy today.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Depends what you're looking for. I have a C* vintage Soloist long shank that is a VERY nice piece but perhaps a little focused for a true legit sound. This gets into the schools of classical sound thing. For a darker, woodier but still responsive mpc, the Bamber classic mpc is a very good affordable alternative. I don't care for the very large chamber vintage pieces, to me they are tubby and stuffy, but some love 'em.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I forgot to say, so check out Selmer's new Soloists too.

On tenor, try larger than a C*....more like D or E. Also Bamber, Otto Link rubber, Meyer or Morgan large chamber around .080-.090" tip, say a 6 Link or Morgan or 7 Meyer.

·
4,147 Posts
gary said:
Well, that's funny. Here, try again: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/search.php?searchid=2130333

Since I gave the link, I wasn't intending on walking someone through how to find it specifically. However, for those inclined:

"search function/advanced search"=advanced search
"thread topics/classical" = Search by Keyword ("classical"), search titles only
"alto mouthpiece area" = Search Forum/Mouthpieces/alto mpc

It still doesn't work man.

·
3,752 Posts
I prefer the Vandoren Al3 or Al4 to a C*. If you want a french style piece, get one of these.

·
7,890 Posts
zxcvbnm said:
I prefer the Vandoren Al3 or Al4 to a C*. If you want a french style piece, get one of these.
Agreed! I don't like square chambers...I think Ralph Morgan said it best when he asked whether they were going to ship a saxophone with a square neck too...

By the way, didn't mean to attack you on that last post...me and the Rascher folks have gotten into some pretty good arguments over this subject in the past few years...I was just anticipating another one. Sorry about that. (You'll notice that I play on Morgans, which are really hybrid Rascher/French pieces...I play them because I like the way they sound, so I see value in a dark piece, but I didn't pick it because someone said that someone said that it was Sax's intention...)

·
7,890 Posts
Martinman said:
It still doesn't work man.

Someone needs to sticky that post. Not trying to toot my own horn here (so to speak), but there are a lot of questions that come up about classical pieces, and the discussion there is pretty good. There's a tenor one too, BTW.

·
4,147 Posts
J.Max said:
Someone needs to sticky that post. Not trying to toot my own horn here (so to speak), but there are a lot of questions that come up about classical pieces, and the discussion there is pretty good. There's a tenor one too, BTW.

Yea, I mention that thread every time someone asks a question about this, which has happened at least 3 or 4 times.

·
3,752 Posts
J.Max said:
Agreed! I don't like square chambers...I think Ralph Morgan said it best when he asked whether they were going to ship a saxophone with a square neck too...

By the way, didn't mean to attack you on that last post...me and the Rascher folks have gotten into some pretty good arguments over this subject in the past few years...I was just anticipating another one. Sorry about that. (You'll notice that I play on Morgans, which are really hybrid Rascher/French pieces...I play them because I like the way they sound, so I see value in a dark piece, but I didn't pick it because someone said that someone said that it was Sax's intention...)
No offense taken. But, personally, I would recommend a Caravan large chamber just because for me, it's been so much better than any other classical piece I've played before (intonation, response, control). That original post was kind of a joke btw.

·
7,890 Posts
zxcvbnm said:
No offense taken. But, personally, I would recommend a Caravan large chamber just because for me, it's been so much better than any other classical piece I've played before (intonation, response, control). That original post was kind of a joke btw.

I like Caravans too, if you're going for that dark sound...the facings are generally good and they are well made. To be honest though, I'm really looking forward to Dr. Houlik's line of mouthpieces. I've spoken with him about these and they look really exciting...especially on tenor, but the others should be good too. With the recent passing of Ralph Morgan, there is a real need for these mouthpieces because there isn't a great alternative on tenor. (I haven't tried the Ridenour tenor piece, but supposedly it's about the same as the Caravan...)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts