Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a classical player thinking of getting a new mouthpiece, to enhance my tone - I currently play a Selmer C*, which produces a fine tone, but I am searching for something more. My ideal tone is smooth, full of depth and breadth but also clarity. Not rugged at all. Darker, but not thick or gravelly. Clear, but not too bright, either. Anyway, I am mainly thinking of the Selmer S-90 or the Soloist, and maybe the Rousseau NC4. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hello,

You should try Vandoren.
I think they are the best: full, round, fat tone, projection, power, not too much dark ............... IMHO and for me: the best.
Maybe a little difficult in the beginning, but with a little work they will sing as the best.
V5 A27 (28 or 25) or the new Optimum series AL3 or AL4.
The Optimum is in the middle of the Selmer's and V5.

Best wishes,
Anselmo

·
Registered
160 Posts
What he said

I'd echo those comments. They are very nice pieces. I found that when i first got mine it took me a while (month or 2) to get the most out of it, think i might have even gone down a reed strength.
My personal favourite is the A20. I find it can produce most types of sound well and copes well with different reed strengths. Its auctually the only piece i use, for classical and for jazz. I bought it because it was fairly neutural sound wise, so the sound is more down to the player than the piece!!!!

hope this helps!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Just try one out and see what you like.

In my probably wrong opinion, I see no reason why you can't get that kind of tone on the C*

·
Registered
170 Posts
The long shank Soloist and the Buffet Classique fit the smooth, deep, rich, clear wishes like a mink glove.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you can find a Charles Bay or two to try, I highly recommend it. A little more saxophone character and a little less oboe...

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Martinman said:
Just try one out and see what you like.

In my probably wrong opinion, I see no reason why you can't get that kind of tone on the C*
Either that or your probably right...sounds like one of those things that takes work and not something a simple mouthpiece change would do.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Anselmo said:
Hello,

You should try Vandoren.
I think they are the best: full, round, fat tone, projection, power, not too much dark ............... IMHO and for me: the best.
Maybe a little difficult in the beginning, but with a little work they will sing as the best.
V5 A27 (28 or 25) or the new Optimum series AL3 or AL4.
The Optimum is in the middle of the Selmer's and V5.

Best wishes,
Anselmo
I agree with this, and I'd throw in the Morgan 3C too if you can get one. Check my post in the classical section called "Index of Classical Mouthpieces". It should give you an idea about the tone differences on various mouthpieces.

All of that being said, you're going to need to spend a bit of time in the woodshed to get the sound that you want. My disdain for S-80 mouthpieces is well known, so I'm not going to tell you to keep that one, but a new piece isn't going to be a cure-all either (or give you instant improvement).

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Bar-Ron said:
Depends on the horn but perhaps a Caravan medium chamber too.
...and if you're interested britt, I've got one I'll sell you. ;)

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I found the Bamber classic dark but clear. WWBW sells them, a short shank Soloist copy. Try a 5 as they are close for the number.

You ought to try several mpcs on trial. The Rousseau Classic or NC are also good suggestions.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wanted to add classical music to my jazz repetoire so I decided blindly to try a Sigard Rauscher alto mouthpiece.They only come in one facing (I don't know what it is). I was able to get a smooth, even, round and dark sound that was not dry or stuffy like the Otto Link Tone Edge HR 5 that I have. The Rauscher mouthpieces tend to be a little hard to find both new or used from my experiences.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Not sure that I'd recommend a Rascher mouthpiece to someone who is not really a Rascher player...it's a very different style of playing. It can be tough to NOT get a tubby tone if you are used to something like a C*. (Especially on a modern horn) If you are a French/American player who is looking for that type of sound, the Caravan is probably a better choice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
If you want to stay with the C* feel but want a darker sound, the S-90 in a 190 facing should work. If you want loud and a free sound, the Super Session is a choice. An older Bundy (yes) 3 with the scooped sidewalls can be a nice player too. Not real expensive and they are around usually for about $35. I can find them often. The S-90 will run you about $70.

·
Registered
275 Posts
chitownjazz said:
Sigurd Rascher. They are only difficult to find if you can't type "Rascher mouthpiece" into the google search engine.
Whether you google the name correctly or incorrectly, try to find any distributor who has one in stock. Make sure those who list them as "in stock" really have them. I had to go for a significant hunt for mine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

Thanks for all of your replies - I'm going to wait a few weeks until the semester is over to order a few and try them out. I'll let you guys know what I think then!

·
Registered
800 Posts
com281 said:
I wanted to add classical music to my jazz repertoire so I decided blindly to try a Sigurd Rascher alto mouthpiece only come in one facing (I don't know what it is). I was able to get a smooth, even, round and dark sound that was not dry or stuffy like the Otto Link Tone Edge HR 5 that I have. The Rascher mouthpieces tend to be a little hard to find both new or used from my experiences.
Classic sax online has Raschers and Caravans and you can ask Robert Haley the owner a question about classic sax too.

I agree that Raschers are dark and smooth with some nice warmth to a powerful tone. Takes some getting used to.
A Rascher tenor mp will tone down a vibrant horn like a CHU and make a dark horn like a SDA richer and deeper than anything I have ever tried.

·
Registered
543 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts