Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

So im wanting to switch from vandoren to a different reed for my chamber/classical bari work (they just seem a bit stuffy to me) and im currently torn between Rico Reserve, Alexander superial DC's, and Hemkes. Im looking for a dark, warm tone here. If it helps, im playing a ybs 62 with a caravan large chamber mouthpiece. Any feedback?

·
Registered
67 Posts
What is the tip opening of your mouthpiece?

I've found that you can't go wrong with the rico royal reeds. The reviews average at 4 stars, some are critical, but at least in my box I haven't gotten any defective reeds. They also tend to not be stuffy, even though I'm using a #2 which I've been told is too soft for my Meyer 6, though it sounds good and that's what matters. Since you're playing classical, you'll need a harder reed than that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tip opening is about .078, and im playing blue box 3 and 3.5 right now. Im hesitant to invest without feedback because money isnt in abundance for me, but atleast RR isnt too expensive. Any feedback on the other brands? ( my director suggested between these 3 brands but RR does seem good)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've used Hemke reeds since the late '80s and have never had a problem. To me, they're very consistent and give a nice, dark classical sound.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used Hemke reeds since the late '80s and have never had a problem. To me, they're very consistent and give a nice, dark classical sound.
Thats what ive heard, the only problem ive heard is that they have really short lives. Is that true or are they more lasting? And thank you

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've always liked Legères for classical setups because they seem to work well with darker mouthpieces for me. Hemkes have always seemed to be the most neutral reeds for me. Reserve have always been a better Rico Royal for me, but the Royals would play less stuffy so they could be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A box of 10 rico royal bari sax reeds is the same as the price of 5 vandoren bari sax reeds, and without any perceptible decline in quality.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,344 Posts
I use Hemke 2.5's or 3's on a Rousseau 5R on my old Buescher bari. Big round and dark sound every time.
But, 'Old Beuford' may have a darker sound to begin with than your Yamaha.
You may want to fart around with your embouchure/shaping of your oral cavity a little as well as trying different brand/cut reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,148 Posts
Rousseaus aren't meant to work on Bueschers.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,344 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts