Votes: 5 38.5%
  • YAS 875EX

Votes: 6 46.2%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading that the 82z is a jazz horn and that the EX is the classical horn. Is there any validity to this or is it just how they are marketed?? I play both classical and jazz and so I need a horn that can do both. I was on the market for an 82Z lacker model but I've also read that the 62II is just as good for less? Out of the 3 professional Yamaha saxes which one would you recommend?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I'd play them all and go with whatever you like best regardless of what the manufacturer intended them for. The difference between a classical sax tone and a jazz sax tone is 98% the player and mouthpiece.

So get the one you like the best.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,729 Posts
I keep reading that the 82z is a jazz horn and that the EX is the classical horn.
Well, the promoter that told me that also emphatically said the silver plate differentiated the sound. So take that for what it's worth. Though I'll try to remain neutral, I've generally found the best suited horns for jazz... tended to be promoted for classical playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,831 Posts
to add the purple logo 62, may have caused some interest in the poll?,as upto now the 62II has no votes, i really rate the earlier 62s as one of yamahas best horns ever..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
First off, lacquer

I say it's 100% the player and mouthpiece/reed combo...
Selmer Series II's do both equally as well, same with the 3's. VI's were the standard forever. I play one horn for jazz and classical and musicals, and everything else. I can't afford to have a horn for each. Sure some key systems may be better than others, I wouldn't want to play my Voll-True II or some of the old Conn's on real technical passages because of the keyboard, but people do, and do it well, and did for a LONG time.

I'd get either the 875 or 82 over the 62 any day. I have not been impressed with the new 62's at all. The old ones were awesome, but the 82z and 875 smoke the new ones. Try both, pick whichever you like more, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I keep reading that the 82z is a jazz horn and that the EX is the classical horn. Is there any validity to this or is it just how they are marketed?? I play both classical and jazz and so I need a horn that can do both. I was on the market for an 82Z lacker model but I've also read that the 62II is just as good for less? Out of the 3 professional Yamaha saxes which one would you recommend?
A few weeks ago I had a go on a brand new 82Z UL Alto . What a fantastic horn! Much more of a MK6 vibe than the Selmer Ref horn. I would say that it would be the Perfect horn to have for both Classical and Jazz ...More so than any other Alto I can think of.
If we are Talking Tenor then I may say something different.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,610 Posts
Out of the 3 professional Yamaha saxes which one would you recommend?
Any of them. Try them out and see what's best.

You can totally forget the marketing stuff about this is classical, that is jazz. It won't make any significant difference.

What will make difference is choosing the saxophone that works for you in both/any genre.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The horn isn't going to shut down if you try to play the wrong type of music with it....

Try them out, see which one screams for you to buy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts