Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone compared Harry Hartmann Fiberreeds:

Natural in "classic" vs. non-classic versions?
or
Carbon in "classic" vs. non-classic versions?

(not including Onyx reed which has no classic version).

Apparently classic is steeper cut, thicker reed(?) but how does that translate into reed strength, sound, ease of play?

I can't find classics in any strength chart, or sound files comparing classic vs. non-classic.

Interested in Tenor mostly.

thanks in advance!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,437 Posts
Typically with any kind of sax reed, the steeper cut results in a shorter, thicker vamp for a more clean, pure sound that takes more effort to produce. Unless I was playing classical or other 'legit' form of music I would not risk the price of any synthetic reed listed as 'classic', particularly if I already had a favorite synthetic that was doing the job.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm asking Family to purchase a selection of HH Fiberreeds as it's my B/day on St Patrick's Day.so I have 5 HH Fiberreeds on my list, for the 2 sax's I have and both with different MPs ..... I already have 1 Carbon MS playing on a Selmer SA80 series 1,with a Barkley POP 0.85 and only 2 weeks in I like 80% + of how it plays and it's getting better the more I play
So how much of a difference is there between Classic and none Classic, how much and compared to what? In equivalent Cane, like Vandoren Java to Blue box classic ?? .....I'm looking to Try the Classic Carbon Classic MS as well as the Onyx MS and Hemp in both MS and M ...A big outlay but I'm not paying so as soon as I have found What works best I can return the rest for my preferred choice. and will have a be stockpile for years..... sounds a good one to me.

I did my first gig last night on HH Carbon(very Brave I thought) Playing a mixed bag of 5 numbers including "Morning dance" and "Take 5" in a short set of invited Acts (Posh Open Mic) and got a favourable feed back from Other Musicians I now well(none sax players)
I will persevere with the HH Fibrereeds as Cane is so time consuming and frustrating, I'd rather play without using half my brains capacity analysing a reeds play ability as I practice . life's too short for that...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts