Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a classical bari mouthpiece that will give me a huge fat, but controlled sound like Brad Hubbard from New Century. Any suggestions? I have tried a Selmer C* but cannot get the sound I want. i can achieve the darkness and control, but it feels too closed and i can't get that fat, awesome sound from it.

I sure wish James Houlik would finish producing his mouthpieces....lol

Oh yeah, I use a Rover Mk III lig and Vandoren 3.5 reeds.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a vintage soloist D for those uses and have been pretty happy. However I have not spent a lot of time and money on my bari gear search due to the fact that I don't get bari gigs very often.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
Try the C* with a metal lig instead of the Rovner. I have found those fabric ligs deaden the sound enough to be a bother. If you have the stock lig, try that for starters. You could also try a stronger reed with the C* as well. When I have to play classical, I go with a more closed mouthpiece with a harder reed than I would on my Jazz piece. See if this works. It may save you some cash.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the stock metal lig, along with other metal ligs. If anything, they seem to brighten my sound, which annoys me. I like the darkness the Rovner gives me. Also, being a high school student, I rarely get reeds. I had this Rovner make a reed play for eight months...ofcourse it was horrible after one but hey I have to do what i gotta do.

The C* feels closed. It just doesnt work for me. I absolutely hate square chamber mouthpieces..... i can never get the tone i want with them. I just want a round chambered bari mouthpiece that will give me that awesome room-filling sound. I guess like Brad Hubbard. With my current C* and assorted lig and reed str combos, I just cannot achieve the sound i want.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
I'm quite happy with my Vandoren Optimum BL4. Round chamber, open enough for a very big sound, while remaining controllable and even. Works great with blue box #3 and #3.5 I've also heard good things about the B75. I would do a search on both and read up on what's already been posted.
Good luck,
JR

·
Registered
494 Posts
If a C* doesn't sound good to you... or you can't make a C* sing... hmm.. I'd say go back to the basic and work on it more. Sorry to be mean, but I think that's the best way to go. Also, get a good teacher to help you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would say save your money and get some decent reeds. You shouldn't have to play on a reed for 8 months. You should barely have to play on a single reed for a month and really thats almost too much they die after about 2-3weeks. You will never achieve a good sound if you have to play on some crappy worn out reeds. If money is a big issue go to woodwind brasswind or prowinds and order some reeds they're a lot cheaper than any local music stores. You will notice a huge difference in that c* if you get the new reeds. Also don't go with cheap reeds get the best you can afford the different brands do make a difference.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Eight months- YIKES!!! Get new reeds TODAY! This will make a HUGE difference! If you're still not getting enough sound, go up a half step. Old reeds lose strength quickly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol i know eight months is way too long for a reed. Im surprised its still in one piece.....

Im just not a selmer mouthpiece kinda guy.... I have never liked the sound i got from it or the sound of professionals playing on it...like Dale Underwood.

I have been taking lessons for about two years now, until my teacher got a band director job in Maryland. If all goes well, ill be studying with James Houlik in a few months...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I play a Vandoren V16 and jumbo Java for alto and love them. Hopefully their classical bari mouthpieces are just as awesome.

·
Registered
494 Posts
you can also try a refaced C* or try the S90 version. good luck.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
drakesaxprof said:
I'm quite happy with my Vandoren Optimum BL4. Round chamber, open enough for a very big sound, while remaining controllable and even. Works great with blue box #3 and #3.5 I've also heard good things about the B75. I would do a search on both and read up on what's already been posted.
Good luck,
JR
I'd agree with you on the BL4 as a great out of the box classical/quartet bari piece.

I'd only recommend the B75 if it was going to be a jazz quartet, though it's certainly my fave piece for anything but classical.

·
Registered
18 Posts
C* with a bass clarinet Rovner

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
468 Posts
I would recommend a Bilger baritone mouthpiece for the kind of sound you are looking for. With the Selmer mouthpiece, one has to coerce and coddle to get the kind of warmth throughout the entire range at different dynamics. The Bilger's design allows for this kind of sound, with practical dynamic range, far more easily. You can hear this mouthpiece on recordings of the New Hudson Saxophone Quartet.

Paul Cohen

·
1,423 Posts
Try a reed change first...

For tenor and bari, I've found Hemke reeds are much better for "classical" work than Vandorens. I too dislike Selmer square chambered mouthpieces, but try the Hemkes on your current mouthpiece first, and see if that gets you in the right direction, before buying a mouthpiece.

Hemke's strengths are different from Vandorens, go to the Rico website to find the right strengh.

·
2,773 Posts
Try a 5* HR Link. I'm kind of infatuated with these mouthpieces right now. They have a big, rich, dark sound that I didn't even know I liked on bari until I played a HR Link and produced it. I'm currently looking for a sax quartet or concert band to play bari in so that I can have an excuse to buy one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since when do two people sound the same on the same set up?

YAY SAXOPHONE said:
I am looking for a classical bari mouthpiece that will give me a huge fat, but controlled sound like Brad Hubbard from New Century. Any suggestions? I have tried a Selmer C* but cannot get the sound I want. i can achieve the darkness and control, but it feels too closed and i can't get that fat, awesome sound from it.

I sure wish James Houlik would finish producing his mouthpieces....lol

Oh yeah, I use a Rover Mk III lig and Vandoren 3.5 reeds.
Go to as many stores as you can and try as many mouthpieces as you can. We can all recommend anything and it may not work for you. I did classical mouthpiece shopping earlier this year. I went to 5 stores and tried out over 30 mouthpieces. I also got recommendations from saxophone forums. The mouthpiece I eventually found and bought was never recommended. Every recommendation I got didn't give me the sound I wanted. Remember, there is so much more of you affecting sound than the mouthpiece. Your entire mouth, throat, lungs, diaphragm, tongue, everything that is you affects the sound you get. Yes, certain mouthpieces do give some certain characteristics (e.g. Lakey gives a very bright and loud sound) to a large group of people, but not to every one. After all, most people use metal mouthpieces for a loud, brash sound, yet some people use the same mouthpiece for classical style. It all depends on the person.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts