Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Thanks again cigar. (BTW - you don't have any kin from Arkansas do you? :twisted: )

Loved Johnny Griffin's RH position at the beginning.

Ronnie Scott LOL. Started his solo with a quote from Diz' solo on (I believe) Perdido from the Masey Hall concert.

Why on earth would you want two drummers when one of them is Kenny Clarke? :scratch:

BTW, thank heavens for German TV.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
I've always loved that this was a three tenor band, but different from Woody's because it maintained an alto lead. And the tenor players have always been killin' -- like when they had both Lockjaw AND Johnny Griffin....

gary said:
Why on earth would you want two drummers when one of them is Kenny Clarke? :scratch:
Well, first off, if you MUST have a second drummer to Kenny Clarke, good to have him named Kenny Clare, just so folks will have to wonder if it's all merely a typo...

In its earliest days, the band did have one and only one drummer, that being of course the glorious Kenny Clarke. I've also wondered why they added a second drummer, and my best guess is this: they had "the other guy" to set up the figures that the band plays, and then they had Clarke to make the whole dang thing SWING!

That's how they often seemed to work it: Clare made all the hits the band was doing, while Clarke just plain swung his and the band's butt off!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts