Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find anything on the Fobes mouthpiece or Clark W Fobes here.
Has anybody worked with him ? Does he reface ? Can you visit his shop ?
Where is he ? His site doesn't say(that I could find)
http://www.clarkwfobes.com/NEW - home page.html
--many thanks

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Clark lives in San Francisco. He generally won't do any refacing work and is best known for his clarinet and bass clarinet mouthpieces.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Fobes

Fobes' clarinet mouthpieces are fantastic. Many of the Hollywood studio woodwind players are using Clark's pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,953 Posts
I don't think Clark refaces. He generally doesn't even work directly with customers. The first time I called him was about 5 or 6 years ago, when I tried to order a NOVA from him to replace my stock clarinet mouthpiece. He told me to order from one of his dealers.

Last summer, though, I got to actually go to his house/workshop in San Francisco and meet him, try mouthpieces and buy a bass clarinet mouthpiece. He was super nice and absolutely an expert in all things clarinet.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,890 Posts
His "Nova" mouthpieces for saxophone are pretty good...they are similar to a Selmer Soloist. Pyne makes one too, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread--I just didn't want to post another one about Clark Fobes and after searching through the archives, thought I'd ask here another question about his work.Hope no one minds...

I just ordered a San Francisco CL + model. I've been playing on a Vandoren M13. The M13 has a slightly bigger tip opening than the CL+ and, like many others, I'm looking to have that "ring" and all to be heard in a big band section. I'm anxious to get the piece and try it but thought I'd ask if anyone else has recently tried a San Francisco, what reeds and strength are/were used and any impressions... I hope I'm at least going in the right direction finding the "right" mouthpiece.
Many thanks for any thoughts/opinions...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Cardinal
No hijack at all . I would hope we could condense any Fobes info into one thread for easy future searches.
I'm also curious how much is hand finished . You have to assume the Debut's aren't. Has anybody tried one on clarinet ? In particular the contra bass. You can't beat $89 bucks.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Wow, is the Debut $89? I thought the Nova intermediate was around there and the Debut was closer to $30. Maybe prices went way up.

Anyway, even the Debut are hand-finished and play tested, but very quickly in large batches.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I posted above that I had ordered a Fobes San Francisco model. It came and I'm really really happy with it. It gives a "sparkle" to the middle range, feels very flexible throughout the entire range of the horn, and I can get a bigger, woodier sound on the low end if I want. It simply plays "bigger" and with more color than the M13. Great mpc. I ordered it from Horn Improvement and they were great too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts