Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a little search and only came up with one unanswered question about Clark's Nova G mouthpiece. I love his clarinet pieces and am curious if anyone has experience with his saxophone mouthpieces? They are a killer value for a hand faced mouthpiece if they sound good. Seems like nis Nova M would be an upgrade over the standard Meyer and the G might be interesting as well. Hope someone has some insight to share!

Thanks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
On Fobes, I bought one of his Debut for alto after hearing it in Pete Thomas' blind test of about a dozen mouthpieces. I would like to try his others.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I own his debut mouthpieces (both Alto and Tenor) as well and am thinking of upgrading and changing facing/tip opening which is why I posed the question. I'm hopeful that someone on here has tried his Nova offerings given the near universal regard for his Debut products. I contacted Clark over the summer and he recommended his G series with a 5 opening as the place to start (I may have mentioned the G series). I am, however, considering his Nova M series since I'm going to participate in a Jazz performance group at the local community college next semester and the sectional players almost universally use Meyer or Meyer clones. I may end up being the "Guinea Pig" for these mouthpieces. Thankfully, they are very reasonably priced! It seems to me a better deal to get a mouthpiece from a noted woodwind performer who hand faces his pieces than say get a mass produced option in the same/similar price point.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for posting the link to your review! Good to know someone liked the Nova M mouthpiece. I love my Fobes bass clarinet mouthpiece and Clark is very approachable and answers emails very quickly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been happy with my Nova M6.
I would describe it as warm and centered. (whatever that means)
It has nice fullness but is comfortably "controlled" - definitely not one that accommodates massive throughput.
I blow this thing without worry and it just sounds good up and down.
Plenty of other mouthpieces sound good too, but take more management for me - esp down low.

IMHO it is a great intermediate or section mp.
I wish I had bought one when I was 16 to use through HS and college and then I would have moved on to something more unique.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Have you played many Meyers? Looking at his tip opening charts his 7 seems equivalent to a Meyer 6. Trying to compare. I agree that there are a bunch of unique options but I'm looking for a solid step-up piece not a final marriage. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently noticed that the Nova G is no longer listed on the Clark Fobes website (at least as far as I could see), and retail inventory seems to be drying up. Does anyone know if the Nova G has been discontinued?

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
I recently noticed that the Nova G is no longer listed on the Clark Fobes website (at least as far as I could see), and retail inventory seems to be drying up. Does anyone know if the Nova G has been discontinued?
It appears the nova G and M are discontinued....I bought an M5 about a month ago, wanted to try a smaller tip opening...if anyone's interested, let me know...the 5 is a little small for me....

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Probably best to check with Clark, but I recall that a while back I had some correspondence with him where he mentioned that he would probably phase out the sax pieces.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I tried the Nova G in the spring, one store at least was still carrying them. I see a couple of Novas on eBay at the moment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been curious about trying the G for a while but I'm a cheapskate who has no business spending money on mouthpieces I don't need, so I haven't been willing to pay retail for one, and there isn't much of a used market for them. I was lucky to get a good deal on an open box G6.

·
Registered
120 Posts
How can you distinguish the G from the M models, on the old ones, stamped wit CW FOBES. around the base?

The newer ones are obvious

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have just acquired a Fobes Nova M-5. off of ebay for a preposterously little amount of $$. The mouthpiece dates from probably around 2000. I wrote to Clark with the photographs, hoping it was an early Nova G, but he says it's an M. He says that BARI made the blanks for him, and that this blank isn't available any more, and was enthusiastic about the piece. He wrote back in, like...three hours, I was stunned. I actually know Clark a very little bit...he's done work on my dad's Alto, years ago and we've bought at least one clarinet mouthpiece from him, as in...gone to the house so my wife could demo it. I turned my conductor, Eric, who is a pretty decent clarinet player, onto his San Francisco model, and he bought one here locally from the local music store.

A look at the chamber and tip confirm that it's very "Meyer-like". I don't have the equipment to measure it and honestly I'm not that knowledgeable about these things, but it sure looks a lot like the Meyer 7 that I've got.. The bed, rails and tip are nice and flat. There's a little bit of ligature outline fading, but only a little. The bite plate is pristine, it must have been used with a pad. I'm looking forward to trying this thing out!

·
Registered
120 Posts
So, now I've been off-and-on with the early Fobes M mouthpiece...before there even were M and G lines. I like this thing. It's quieter than the Rico Metallite M-7 that I use a lot, and has a more delicate, but "thicker" sound when I use it. It's also easier to control. It's rather like my Meyer 7 but I like it better. This is the piece I'll go to for more intimate settings....if blasted COVID will ever go away and we get to play in "intimate settings" again.

Seriously, I don't know why more players don't use these.

EDIT: I should say, this is a tenor mouthpiece. So why post it in the alto mouthpiece forum? Answer....because I searched for threads about Clark's NOVA pieces and this was the only thread that came up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts