Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of or know where to get Clarion Fibercane reeds. Very old. I think they are out of business. I am trying find some that still may be around for tenor sax.
21/2 or higher strength.

thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,512 Posts
I remember these reeds. I seem to remember that Selmer offered these for a while. They played pretty well but the newer Fibracel are better. much better.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
A very few used ones or new old stock have shown up on eBay. The listings say they are no longer made. My suggestion is to find a substitute.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
The reason they are long since out of production is they were made of fiberglass and the fibers would cut your lip and draw blood. I liked the way they played but couldn't take the results. This was in 1963. Fibracell is a much better choice anyway.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,512 Posts
I think I actually have one somewhere. If you are still interested send me a private message.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The reason they are long since out of production is they were made of fiberglass and the fibers would cut your lip and draw blood. I liked the way they played but couldn't take the results. This was in 1963. Fibracell is a much better choice anyway.
I believe the famous fictional Bleeding Gums Murphy played Clarion Fibercane reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Well if he rubbed his gums with one they would bleed. Honestly as I remember they really did play great, but I was like 17 at the time. These days if you put a product like that on the market, you would get sued almost immediately. I don't remember 'Clarion', just Fibercane, and I think by the time I was buying them Selmer already owned it. Apparently it took about 50 years after that debacle to come up with a safe similar reed, the Fibracell. I'd have to say the Fibracell has a long way to go to equal a Fibercane but then again at the end of a set you won't look like a vampire who just ate.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
To everyone about old fibrecane reeds, I still have somewhere) and old clarion reed or two, purchased for clarinet about 1970. and it still went when I last played it, but fingers are gone for tip sensitivity. I use Bundy fibercane reeds for tenor and alto and clarinet ones on soprano, (work fine) my current collection from 1980-81. The soft are necessary because of cut risk on the edges, but I learned early that slow and careful sanding reduced risks. They were hard and gave trouble log ago. I have had no trouble for decades, love the reliability and quality and ease, but, many old friends who would boast of big numbers n mouthpieces and reeds, would try medium of strong, and all failed. Only the whip and control of the soft, against a big mouthpiece will give the result possibilities. Over time, one's airflow, lip control, nuances, all change. I still get compliments for sounding like Boots Randolph, Coleman Hawkins, especially Ben Webster, others, because one can get a huge range in tone, volume, control, dynamics. But, I've had to alter my mouthpiece many times, at risk, over years to accommodate the reeds, which is opposed to convention, where one has a set and regular mouthpiece and makes reeds submit to it. My old darling mouthpiece started as a hard rubber Otto Link 8, having lost a loved metal link seven*. My recycled and round robin reeds are now forty years old, and going beautifully. Now surely the new successors in fibre and composition are good and one should consider all possibilities in shaving, sanding, variations of mouthpieces.., but go for whip, flex, power, control, with soft ones on a big setup, and exude air for power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts