Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of or know where to get Clarion Fibercane reeds. Very old. I think they are out of business. I am trying find some that still may be around for tenor sax.
21/2 or higher strength.

thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
I remember these reeds. I seem to remember that Selmer offered these for a while. They played pretty well but the newer Fibracel are better. much better.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
A very few used ones or new old stock have shown up on eBay. The listings say they are no longer made. My suggestion is to find a substitute.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
The reason they are long since out of production is they were made of fiberglass and the fibers would cut your lip and draw blood. I liked the way they played but couldn't take the results. This was in 1963. Fibracell is a much better choice anyway.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
I think I actually have one somewhere. If you are still interested send me a private message.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The reason they are long since out of production is they were made of fiberglass and the fibers would cut your lip and draw blood. I liked the way they played but couldn't take the results. This was in 1963. Fibracell is a much better choice anyway.
I believe the famous fictional Bleeding Gums Murphy played Clarion Fibercane reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
Well if he rubbed his gums with one they would bleed. Honestly as I remember they really did play great, but I was like 17 at the time. These days if you put a product like that on the market, you would get sued almost immediately. I don't remember 'Clarion', just Fibercane, and I think by the time I was buying them Selmer already owned it. Apparently it took about 50 years after that debacle to come up with a safe similar reed, the Fibracell. I'd have to say the Fibracell has a long way to go to equal a Fibercane but then again at the end of a set you won't look like a vampire who just ate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts