Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back into doubling (tenor/clarinet) and the band director lent me a Bundy to get started. Used to play a nice wooden 30's Buffett but sold it a few years back thinking i would never play again. I went to my trusted old school sax repair guy and he pulls out an old clarinet that had pads on it like a sax that he plays professionally. I never heard or saw a clarinet with pads except in some spots. He pulls out this brand new Hunter with pads only and it sounded great. I have searched the internet and can find nothing on such a thing. Hunter is a Chinese brand and I found a few but nothing with all pads. Anybody have an experience with a clarinet with no tone rings and all pads? I was really surprised to find the repair guy play such a thing as he is really old school. He said that all clarinets should be this way but Hunter is the only brand that makes one. i put a deposit on it but trying to find out more before i pull the trigger. I really trust this guy and all the musicians go to him for repair work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,199 Posts
Search on “plateau” style clarinets. They are models with covered tone holes as you describe.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Do a search! There was a thread about this just two weeks ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,376 Posts
Probably true about some impediments presented by plateau clarinets, but I used one not too long ago in the UK when we visited relatives and I did a duet with the husband (him on an Eb 'nino clarinet and me on his Bb plateau clarinet) on EDELWEISS at a local pub one evening. The crowd loved it. So, they can be played . . . DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,097 Posts
It does seem like a lot more maintenance with all those little pads to take care of. I'm sure it works fine, but I like my open tone holes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will never be able to play the opening of "Rhapsody in Blue" with a clarinet like that!
That’s kind of “you’ll poke your eye out” type comment. It did get me interested and I watched a video explaining the technique you were referring to. Good to know the cons when purchasing anything. I did get the Hunter New York with the Plateau keys and so far I am thrilled with it. I consider myself a novice. I don’t find anything wrong with the quality but it is ebonite or plastic. For the price it was better than taking a chance on a used student horn. Someone lent me a Bundy so I am going back and forth to see the differences. Using the TE Tuner app to check intonation but my embrocure in not developed enough and so far the pitch is a few cents off but I can get each note in tune with changes to my embouchure. About 15 years I played a vintage expensive wood clarinet but I am happy with the tone I am getting with plastic

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
I did get the Hunter New York with the Plateau keys and so far I am thrilled with it. I consider myself a novice. I don’t find anything wrong with the quality but it is ebonite or plastic. For the price it was better than taking a chance on a used student horn.
Where did you buy the Hunter New York?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did get the Hunter New York with the Plateau keys and so far I am thrilled with it. I consider myself a novice. I don';t find anything wrong with the quality but it is ebonite or plastic. For the price it was better than taking a chance on a used student horn.
Where did you buy the Hunter New York?
. Tell Jim at Music Center of Holiday in Holiday Fl Mike sent you. I am finding that stock mouthpiece gets the full range so I am sticking with it. Tried 3 so far and I always go back to the stock. When I played years ago I used an Otto Link on a 30';s Buffet so I might try that one when I get better. Intonation is fine. Jim actually plays an old Bundy with Plateau keys. I still can';t find anything on the web for model 6403EB Hunter New York. No indication on the horn or the case as to where it was made but Jim believes China. Update: Just found this http://mmrmagazine.com/new-products...eb-plateau-key-bb-clarinet.html#disqus_thread

1 - 9 of 9 Posts