Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Something to add about over-strong flat-springs:

The force that the spring exerts depends not only on its "pre-tension" (adjusted by bending), but also very heavily on its effective length.

It is very common for a flat spring to make contact with the key itself for around 1/3 of the length of the spring, and sometimes up to 2/3 for some longer springs, especially register key springs.

To weaken the spring, and also get a better "feel" - i.e. the spring force increasing minimally during its travel - adjust its shape so that while it is operating, only a very short length near the retaining screw is in contact with the key.

Even if a spring has a suitable tension, the "feel" can be improved by doing this along with retaining the strength by at the same time increasing the "pre-tension". This commonly a good procedure to carry out on a clarinet throat A spring. Even less than a mm reduced contact with the key can make quite a difference for the feel of operation for this key.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I still use raw linseed oil, but will probably try Grenadoil....
I've used that since it was made available. Expensive, but I reckon it is probably the best available, all things considered. Just a few $ per oiling, and one doesn't do it toooo often.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts