Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for lack of a better reed I tried one of my #2 Legere clarinet reeds on the AW soprano I just got and got a much better tone and response than the sop fibercell MS and 2-1/2 rico reeds. In fact my response to those reeds was YUK! So is this something that routinely works? I would like to get a Legere soprano reed but it only goes down to #2 which is equivelent to a 2-1/2 rico and that's too stiff.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,232 Posts
I've used clarinet reeds many times when soprano sax reeds were not available.

I still prefer soprano reeds, though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hakukani said:
I've used clarinet reeds many times when soprano sax reeds were not available.

I still prefer soprano reeds, though.
Yeah I can see why. They sound pretty good on the low register but not too good on the high notes.

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
I've used soprano sax reeds on clarinet before, but never the reverse. I'll have to try that out for the thrill of it. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
I had the complete opposite experience with clarinet reeds on a soprano. Grabbed a reed that looked about the right size, slapped it on, after five seconds realized something was wrong, and checked it out. I had put my main clarinet reed on the soprano! Could just be the horrible mouthpiece that I have for soprano though... But seeing as I no longer have a soprano to use, no chance to try it out again... :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Johnny Hodges used clarinet reeds when he played soprano, so there's a good precedent - he after all learned from Sydney Bechet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
potiphar said:
Johnny Hodges used clarinet reeds when he played soprano, so there's a good precedent - he after all learned from Sydney Bechet.
Well they only sort of worked for me which is why I sanded the 2-1/2 rico regular soprano reed. After I did that and used the 4C mouthpiece it was much better. However I still am not quite satisfied with the tone and over playability of this horn so I am thinking of sending it back and getting the Yanagisawa.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've used clarinet reeds on my sopranos forever, although I often go back and forth. Currently I'm back to soprano reeds, but I've been very pleased when I've used clarinet ones, it just depends on which horn, which mouthpiece, and where my head is at that day.....

If I ever found the "perfect mouthpiece/reed/ligature" combination, I think I would die and go to heaven..... Thank God, I can pick up my flute, and that whole headache vanishes.... ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts