Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. Does anyone have any info on Kent clarinets made in France. I purchased a Kent Superior rosewood clarinet and there is absolutely no info on the web. Any help would be much appreciated. I was on a clarinet forum and someone asked the same question and got no answers.

Thanks,
Todd Klipfel

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Todd: Good luck in identifying your Kent clarinet. I had a similar issue when I was gifted a Triomphe-Paris (as marked on the instrument) C clarinet in Albert System and was never able to obtain more info. DAVE

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think its a stencil made by buffet or someone else. I have seen 2 of them on xbay. No info whatsoever on the web. Well, its a nice clarinet anyway.

TCK123

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
There was an instrument distributor in the 1960s called Kent. They mainly imported electric guitars from Japan. It might be the same company.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will have to look it up. I have had no luck with any searches. Its about to get new pads and cork. We will see how it plays after that.

TCK123

·
Banned
652 Posts
It seems there is almost an unlimited number of clarinet brands out there. Like saxophones, most unknown brands are probably stencils made by a large company. A good repair tech can probably identify your horn for you, tell you something about it's quality. The thing about clarinets though is, wood changes over time unlike brass and plastic. It makes it somewhat challenging to overhaul clarinets.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I think the only changes that may be relevant are:
- Tone holes filling with lint etc, especially where they are undercut.
- Drying out changing the texture of the interior surface. (But it is quite possible that a slightly rougher texture is better - think golf ball dimples)

That is all I can think of that could affect the air column, which is the part that makes the sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts